Random electrical gremlins?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

stu22 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm Volvo Assist arrived, or actually some dirty looking guy in a van, and advised that battery was only at 7 volts despite car only being used last night. Clearly something amiss in the electronics that causing a drain now. He jumped started it and left!
Phoned the dealer and they can't get the car in any earlier so will wait and see if will start again in the morning. In the meantime I've got a trade-in value from Mercedes against a new GLB for the wife...
Don't expect any improvement in reliability with the GLB - reliability ratings on the GLB are in the mid 60%. A fellow up the street from me has one and it has been a horror. It sounds to me that you simply have a defective battery.

stu22

Post by stu22 »

bdalameda wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:30 pm
stu22 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm Volvo Assist arrived, or actually some dirty looking guy in a van, and advised that battery was only at 7 volts despite car only being used last night. Clearly something amiss in the electronics that causing a drain now. He jumped started it and left!
Phoned the dealer and they can't get the car in any earlier so will wait and see if will start again in the morning. In the meantime I've got a trade-in value from Mercedes against a new GLB for the wife...
Don't expect any improvement in reliability with the GLB - reliability ratings on the GLB are in the mid 60%. A fellow up the street from me has one and it has been a horror. It sounds to me that you simply have a defective battery.
Safe to say that this car is turning in to the most unreliable so far.
I don't think the battery is the issue, I think there is a defective module on the car and that is causing rhe random issues and now a battery drain.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Obviously at 7-volts the car can't operate - you either have a drain or more likely a faulty battery - have the battery changed and see if that cures things - at least you can get that done quickly - if it then is the battery - claim the cost back from Volvo in view that they can't get your car looked at in a reasonable time.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Oldie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:24 am Obviously at 7-volts the car can't operate - you either have a drain or more likely a faulty battery - have the battery changed and see if that cures things - at least you can get that done quickly - if it then is the battery - claim the cost back from Volvo in view that they can't get your car looked at in a reasonable time.
These issues pre-dated the battery issue yesterday , I'd guarantee the battery is a symptom of the failure and not a cause. Car has been fine today apparently but is still booked in for further investigation on the 8th Feb.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Interesting thing I noted yesterday - got in to the car and the drivers seat was hot as though heater was on but hadn't been used for 24hrs, no pre-heat timer set either.
That's likely to be out battery flattening issue, just need Volvo to tell us why now......
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That's a fortunate find. Is there a fuse for the heated seats you could remove to see if it's the culprit?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
stu22

Post by stu22 »

A fortunate find however unfortunately car was once again dead this morning. Car is now being recovered to the dealer, so at least pushes the issue to the front rather than the 8th Feb. Customer service are involved so as this has been going on for nearly 2 months.
Just waiting to get a hire car for my wife as the dealer has no courtesy cars available, I hope for their sake they don't give her something rubbish 😆
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I needed to put some bags on the back seat so I thought I’d plug the seat belts in so the car doesn’t think there’s someone sat there without the seat belt on. That worked fine until I took the bags off but left the seat belt plugged in.
The overview of the car was constantly up, so after a while once I’d realised why I unplugged the seat belts. The car then thought there was someone sat there without their seat belts on.

The latest one is active high beam unavailable, which goes after a while. Oh and stop starts not worked for months

Utter rubbish software
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
xfield

Post by xfield »

So on mine most recently I've had the warning about auto full beam a few tines. I've just been through a car wash and was told the all wheel drive needs a service. In hot weather the stereo might reboot several times before coming on and actually playing the radio. Sometimes the blind spot sensor would stay on despite nothing being close - I've put that down to dirt on the sensors, which why I went to the car wash!
Inscription Pro | D4 AWD | Denim Blue | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Just had a call from our dealer - damaged wiring has been found behind the dashboard, unclear whether chafed or burnt. Volvo technical involved and entails dashboard being removed to rectify.