Brake Pads

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It's Simple Oldie, the answer has already been provided. Smaller rear rotors and smaller rear pads having smaller surface area meaning faster wear for the setup Volvo have specified for the vehicle. Really can't see what the fascination is that keeps this thread going.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

JFDIT - fascinating seems right, maybe its because posts keep leaving more questions than answers - like your's - its always been the case that in most cars, if not all, that the rear discs are smaller than the fronts - yet they don't wear out the rear pads before the front in my experience - so maybe not so simple?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It's always been the case that most, if not all, cars only had internal combustion engines....
As previously explored in this thread rear Brakes do a lot more of late. Clearly to counter the additional wear the rotors and pad size could be increased but then perhaps they would be oversized for the single job of retarding the car in a straight line.
Who knows, who cares. Of course it could be part of a bigger Chinese conspiracy......
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

In the past they helped slow down and stop the car, they held the car in stop and parking modes, and some would do handbrake turns - curious to know what more they do today that would cause them being worn out at 15K??? lets get back to the basics - Volvo's rear brake pads seem to wear out very quickly, far to quick in my opinion, and are far to costly to replace!!
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

If the rear discs are too large they get corroded through under-use.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

My rear pads were changed at 28,900 miles at year 2 service - I have recently had a service at my French Volvo dealer, they advised the front pads should be checked in another 15,000 Kms - the car has done 67,000 Kms already so that will be approximately 83,000 Kms - That calculates out to 51,500 miles.
Firstly, the French garage giving me a distance idea before checking is far more useful than a % wear
The second thing is I bought the car with 5,000 miles on it as the ex demo D4 R Design FE from the UK dealer, so I do not expect that the front pads have been changed before i purchased the car. I think 50,000 odd miles on a set of pads is pretty amazing in this modern age.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I have purchased an used D4 AWD two years ago with approx 40k miles on it. I've changed rear pads after 6 months and some 4k miles. Now I did 20k miles more and looks like I should replace them rear brake pads soon again. I'm not using auto brake a lot (it keeps stopping me while parking on backwards up the hill) but I often use cruise control or Pilot Assist on highways and my highway mileage is some 70% of total mileage. Is it really normal for a rear brake pads on XC40 to wear out that much, after only 20-25 thousand miles?
The guy at the annual checkup (for insurance) didn't say anything about the frond pads, he just told me I might change the rear pads in a couple of months.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I experienced the same wear as you describe with my rear brake pads, see my previous post in this thread.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
When my car went in for its 1st service at @7200 miles, the health report stated that the front brake pads were 9 and 10mm thick and had worn by 30%. When I spoke to the service agent about it he seemed quite relaxed that the brakes and probably the discs may need changing around 20 k miles, this is on a car that that is not used in traffic too much (I’m retired) and is not driven hard.

Anyway, wrote to customer services explained the above ,told them I am not happy, they replied that they wanted to liaise with the dealer. They have contacted the dealer and customer services are awaiting for a reply. Brake pads that are 9/10 mm thick I don’t quite believe that they are 30% worn
Will wait and see, but I am not holding my breath.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 am I experienced the same wear as you describe with my rear brake pads, see my previous post in this thread.
Thanks Eugene, I saw that post but wanted to confirm that. Still, I was at the annual service today and they did change the FRONT pads :)
I find some 60k miles for the front pads and some 40k for the back ones acceptable.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018