Style over substance. IMHO

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

bba wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:37 pm It is very hard to grasp because it is totally irrelevant. As the OP keeps saying it is the *current* second-hand prices that matter.
Nonsense. The second hand prices have absolutely nothing at all to do with how the car was built.

If you want to get into value and depreciation it's a whole other topic.

bba

Post by bba »

Quite! That is the very point indeed, thank you. New prices have nothing to do with this thread - it is *all* about current 2nd hand prices as a result of varying rates of depreciation.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Hmm, seems to me like you were complaining about the quality of the XC40 by comparing it to a completely different class of car that cost a lot more to build.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Wow penny has just dropped and think just got the point of this thread - yes the XC40 was designed, targeted, and costed to take sales from X1's and Q3's and not the Q5 - and on that point we may agree, and it did a great job to by wining car of the year, but its achieved something else to...... On the second hand market it seems the XC40 is now punching above its weight on residual values and takes on, and wins again by the sound of it, the Q5 i.e. the secondhand market seems to view the XC40 as good or better than the Q5 and thus prices it accordingly - well done XC40 - always knew you could do it :D
bba

Post by bba »

Again - slightly exasperated - this is about what an XC40 can be traded in for, particularly given the currently apparently inflated residuals of XC40s, and the surprisingly poor residuals of cars (yes - that when new *were* more expensive than an XCX40) such as the Q5 or X3. What the OP is saying and what intrigues me is that for the value of my XC40 I can apparently swap to a Q5 or X3 without adding any money in between. That I find interesting. Also, I find it rather astonishing that this simple observation is being so vigorously challenged.

Other than the woeful Pilot Assist I have not complained about the XC40 at all, in fact, overall I rather like it, although that is not the point here.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
bba

Post by bba »

Thank you @Oldie! And the OP.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I like how *I'm* the one that's just getting it, when this was literally in the OP.
Ovlovjohn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:28 pmYou would believe that both cars are circa £30k, the difference is huge.
Because they're not. Which is the point.
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Hi Alex
It was a typo
Should have read you ‘would NOT believe that both cars are £30k’
BTW I still can’t believe it :D
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Having owned both new I wouldn't want the Audi again. And couldn't care less about cost. Each to their own.
Personally I find the Volvo a well designed car with a recognisable shape and excellent build quality.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

In December I will have owned our 2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design for 3 years. We have every available option on the car. To date we have not had a single thing fail or go wrong with it, nothing. The Glacier White paint is flawless and deep looking and the black roof is as well. My wife loves the car and I do as well. No creaks, rattles or squeaks.

My neighbor has an Audi he bought within a month or two of our purchasing our XC40 - he has had a cracked head and the entire engine replaced within two years of ownership. The car has had consistent leaks around the windshield of both air and water. It has gone in for these repairs at least twice. He now is getting a check engine light repeatedly that the dealer cannot figure out why it keeps returning. Lastly he has an issue where when he is putting fuel in the tank he has to very slowly fill the tank as there is a problem with the emissions system that does not allow the tank to vent properly so fuel has to be put in at a very slow pace. It takes him about a half hour to fill the tank.

I am very satisfied with our XC40.