Style over substance. IMHO

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
bba

Post by bba »

And I think it is fair. IF the prices, miles and ages are nearly all the same as the OP alerted us to that they can be.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Den48 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:41 pm Hi
Ok bba I get that, putting the money aside I still think that a q5 should be compared to an xc60
My comparison thoughts are
Xc40 compare with Q3 , X1
Xc60 compare with Q5, X3
Xc90 compare with Q7, X5
I realise comparisons are subjective as regards trim etc. but for pure side-by-side comparisons, have a look at :

www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Hi all
OP here. Thanks for your replies.
The point of my post was to highlight to people currently with or thinking of buying an XC40 to look beyond a certain car ‘category’. The Q5 really isn’t that much bigger and is just as nimble and agile as the XC40, something else I loved about it.
BBA is spot on with the comments, it is a fair comparison as I only paid £350 as a cost to change. I sold via an online website ( you know the one) and haggled on the price of the Q5, so, given age, mileage and cost they are the same. I was amazed with the price I received for the XC40. BTW I bought the Q5 from an Audi dealer so I got all the usual benefits, including a one year warranty which had just run out on the XC40.
I hope these comments help.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Just looking at the Q5 price list. The two cars are definitely not comparable equivalents.

For a start a base spec OTR Q5 price is £45,735.00 compared to £32,855 for the equivalent XC40.

Then there are so many options that need to be added to the Audi to bring it up to the basic Volvo spec - e.g. folding door mirrors, hill start assist and rear side airbags are all available only as paid-for options, even on the highest spec Q5 models.

Comparing used car prices is a different ball game, as they're all over the place at the moment.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

So what we're saying is that it's 'fair' to compare a vehicle that costs £40k approx at the high end to a car that *starts* at that price, because you can find outlier used vehicles at less than you'd expect. Why stop there? You put the Q7 against a Bentley and it looks like a Ford Ka.

Yes, the XC40 has issues, and Volvo is a bloody expensive brand, but if you're going to compare across brands at least stick with like for like. An XC40 wasn't aimed at the Q5 market, it's why there's a £10-15k difference in starting price.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Apples and pears, swings and roundabouts - Volvo's and Audi's - we all have our own preferences, and opinions - which can often be very opinionated when we have a bad experience - in my opinion bba is simply wrong to compare the XC40 with a Q5 - cars these days, regardless of costs, have categories - just read any motor magazine, and the XC40 was designed and entered the market to capture sales form X1's and Q3's - and not Q5's - this was XC60 territory - one may argue that fact all they like, but it is still a fact.
bba

Post by bba »

And I am, as may already be evident, of a different opinion. Choices at the *same* price-point are a very relevant consideration. Also, to compare prices of new cars when it is clear from the beginning that the OP is talking about used/second-hand is bordering on the silly as the main point and what is really interesting about the OP's first post is the very different rates of depreciation of other models of used/second-hand cars. Also, letting oneself be restricted by rigid and artificial 'categories' or opinions of the motoring press or even brand preference sounds to me like voluntary blinkering oneself - why would one even do that?

The highlighting of the seemingly very different rates of depreciation in the current rather weird second-hand car market should be of genuine interest to anyone with at least a half-open mind. I just looked and it would appear my XC40 has *increased* in price since I bought it in May which I find well worth thinking about, particularly as Pilot Assist which was a key criterion when choosing the car is such a disappointment. So I am looking at trading in at the full value of my XC40 with the wishlist now including second-hand Q5 PHEVs with full-fat Driver Assistance - I don't know if there are any such beasts about but thanks to the OP I now know of the possibility that this *might* be within reach and for that, I am grateful to him/her. I might even also be looking at the X3 as well, just for good measure. :)
Last edited by bba on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Again bba, you totally get the point I was making, others seem to miss the point completely.
All I am saying is for virtually the same money there are, imho, much better cars out there. I am not comparing an suv to a sports coupe, I am comparing two similar sized all wheel drive petrol SUV’s.
Good luck bba with your search. I have owned both a BMW X3 and now the Q5, I can honestly say they fit in the much better category, if categories are what we are talking about :D
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I don't understand how this is so hard to grasp. A Volvo XC40 kitted out with all the gizmos and gadgets is a (being generous) £45,000 vehicle. It *starts* at £32k. It has kit, trim, finish and detail *built to that level* and to compare it to a vehicle that costs an extra £10-15k when new - as this is the price the car was built to - is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what the Q5 costs second hand, because *that's not the price the vehicle was built to*.

This is not a hard concept to grasp, surely?
bba

Post by bba »

It is very hard to grasp because it is totally irrelevant. As the OP keeps saying it is the *current* second-hand prices that matter.