Style over substance. IMHO

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Greetings all. I would like to start but apologising if my below opinion upsets anyone.
So, I bought a T4 AWD R design about a year ago. I was completely won over by the modern and funky design of the car. Coming from bland German cars I thought the XC40 was a revelation. I was also impressed with the comfort and lack of harsh thumps over potholes.
6 months in I had the creaking steering noise. All suspension parts replaced on both sides. 2 months ago the noise started again. This should not happen on any car under 3 years old and less than 16k miles especially not a ‘premium’ make.
I was also annoyed about the following:
- Brakes needed replacing @ 11k miles
- Three bits of interior trim fell off whilst driving, at different times.
- Weak and thin paint. The black roof would scratch so very easily.
- Worst of all was the road noise. Didn’t really notice it at first but wow did it get annoying. I had the 18” wheels with a 55 profile, my only conclusion is that the car must have little or zero insulation. Slightly rough roads / concrete would be horrible.
So, a few weeks ago I sold the car and replaced it with an Audi Q5 tfsi same miles same year and surprisingly nearly the same price.
Wow, what a difference, I enjoy driving again. The Audi is considerably better quality. Everything looks and feels a different league and it is so so quiet. You would believe that both cars are circa £30k, the difference is huge.
Will I miss the looks of the XC40, yes, absolutely, do I look at the Audi in the same way, no, definitely not. But in this case I have decided that substance is much more important than style.

bba

Post by bba »

Thank you for sharing - food for thought.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Indeed, interesting points.
I've had mine for just over three years and on balance, still love it. I had a look at other cars and couldn't find anything (electric) that was reasonably priced that took my fancy so I'll probably stay with it for a year longer.
Nothing has failed, nothing has fallen off, nothing rattles. I agree the paint is a bit soft, but my previous BMW was just as bad and I'd put it down to the paint all manufacturers have to use now.

I also think that comparing it to a Q5 isn't really a fair comparison - I'd have said a Q3 is more like it.
The Q5 is a step up and the XC60 is more of an equal. My son has the XC60 and IMHO is much better quality inside than the XC40. It's not bad, just a bit less. It's also a tad quieter with better engine noise insulation.

Not noticed the road noise as being an issue, especially after the aforementioned BMW with run-flat tyres!! I do understand however that if you found it noisy then it's going to make you hate the car.
My BMW lasted 18 months before it got the elbow.

It's a shame that you had the other problems though. That's totally unacceptable and should have been sorted by Volvo to your complete satisfaction - maybe that's the real failing as a "premier" car. If you want to charge big money then you'd better back it up when things go wrong.
One of the things I did notice was that a new electric XC40 is around £20k more than I paid for my car. Ex demo's are going for £60k plus too - madness!!! This puts it at a level where I don't think it stands up so well to close scrutiny.

Best of luck with the Audi - it's a great car!
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

This will always be a tough one - when you have had a bad experience with a car I guess any swap that changes that for the better will win your regards - I agree with NitramA on pegging a Q5 against a XC60 and a XC40 against a Q3 - which having driven both the XC40 wins out in my view against the Q3, as most reviews do also. Then its Volvo v Audi, and from experience (to date) Volvo wins every time.
bba

Post by bba »

The OP states the XC40 and the Q5 was the same money so I *do* think the comparison is fair. You can get something huge (and nasty) for little money and something tiny and super expensive so for me parity of cost trumps parity of size in comparisons.

My own main gripe with the XC40 is the awful 'Pilot Assist' compared with the 'Driver Assistance' in a former BMW, I have given up on trying to use it, it is that bad. Also, the lack of adaptive 'matrix' headlights in the XC40 is making itself known now that it is darker (and I am getting older) which is particularly annoying as I just read that they come as standard in the cheaper C40.

I wonder if the driver-assist of a Q5 is any good and if there are any second-hand cars out there with it...?
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Definitely echo the comparison comment, the q5 , great car , is definitely a step up from an xc40 the basic q5 sport spec with ice engine is £46k on the road.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
bba

Post by bba »

Ovlovjohn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:28 pm So, a few weeks ago I sold the car and replaced it with an Audi Q5 tfsi same miles same year and surprisingly nearly the same price.
Wow, what a difference, I enjoy driving again. The Audi is considerably better quality. Everything looks and feels a different league and it is so so quiet. You would believe that both cars are circa £30k, the difference is huge.

It was the *same money* for the OP folks...
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Ok bba I get that, putting the money aside I still think that a q5 should be compared to an xc60
My comparison thoughts are
Xc40 compare with Q3 , X1
Xc60 compare with Q5, X3
Xc90 compare with Q7, X5
bba

Post by bba »

At least I am not in a position to put the money aside - you are lucky.

So what are the equivalent size models of Ssang Yong or MG? Or Bentley, for that matter?

When I peruse used car listings of course it is the price I bracket the ads by - not car size.

And I thank the OP for raising the very interesting point that I was unaware of - that my XC40 could be traded in for a very nice Q5.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Bba I am probably not making myself clear , when I say put the money aside I am not saying that I have money to buy a car for cash ,like you I haven’t
I am merely saying that if you put a Q5 and an XC40 together on a forecourt for comparison, it is not a fair comparison IMHO