Safety Recall Notice

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

I have just received a letter from Volvo UK telling me about an XC40 Vehicle Safety Recall outlining a possible fault on my vehicle with regard to a wiring harness in the engine bay. On calling the number given to arrange an examination/rectification the guy on the other end of the phone did not seem to know anything about it but did try to flog me a coolant/antifreeze change for £59.99. I declined but the car is booked in for the 22nd Nov for inspection.

I challenged him over the coolant as the car has just had its first anniversary service and the recommendation for coolant/antifreeze change is a two year cycle. Volvo shamelessly uses its call handlers (sometimes with scare tactics) to extract as much money out of gullible customers as possible as this is not the first time I have been "strongly" advised to take up an offer.

Am I the only one?
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

No experience as yet with Volvo UK. We pick up our car tomorrow.

I've found this gov.uk site a useful resource for checking veh recalls, either by reg or make.

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.servi ... hicle/make
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Your recall notice has taken its time - they were sent out from last Jan. Some cars are missing the armor protection fitted to the cabling that runs the length of the engine bay. Never use UK call centers and always contact the local dealer - In my experience call centers know very little and tasked to flog stuff. Who ever heard of changing coolant after one year - that's a disgrace - what next change the tyres if contaminated with mud???
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Oldie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:18 am Your recall notice has taken its time - they were sent out from last Jan. Some cars are missing the armor protection fitted to the cabling that runs the length of the engine bay. Never use UK call centers and always contact the local dealer - In my experience call centers know very little and tasked to flog stuff. Who ever heard of changing coolant after one year - that's a disgrace - what next change the tyres if contaminated with mud???
I did in fact call the local dealer and my call was transferred as Volvo dealerships seem to use a centralised system which is rather chaotic. I have two numbers to call other than the dealership, one for the bi-annual alloys check and another for servicing. The alloys check system sent the details to a dealership over 50 miles away! Volvo systems could do with a bit of integration as my dealership rang after I made the recall appointment to tell me that it had been completed at the same time as the car's first anniversary service.

As for tyres, I was advised of "worn" front tyres after just 2800 miles! (47% worn at 5mm depth according to the report!) I forgot to mention the hard "servicing" sell when I have a 5 year service plan in place....... :roll:
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

This??

R/2021/017 A CABLE HARNESS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT MAY BE ASSEMBLED IN THE INCORRECT POSITION

Applies to VINs between YV1XZL1MCM2390161 and YV1XZK9MCM2509424 (build dates 7/2/20 - 9/12/20)

From the VOSA recall database
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Lanzman

Post by Lanzman »

Surely should of been picked up and actioned on service.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Sherwood wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm This??

R/2021/017 A CABLE HARNESS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT MAY BE ASSEMBLED IN THE INCORRECT POSITION

Applies to VINs between YV1XZL1MCM2390161 and YV1XZK9MCM2509424 (build dates 7/2/20 - 9/12/20)

From the VOSA recall database
That’s the one.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Lanzman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 pm Surely should of been picked up and actioned on service.
It was carried out in October during the car’s first service. I only found out when my local dealership called to tell me I didn’t need to bring the car in for the scheduled recall appointment as they had already fixed it. Volvo left hand/right hand………… :roll: