NewMotion Charger & Volvo Cars App & Scheduled Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mondiniho

Post by Mondiniho »

Has anybody else had issues with having a consistent experience using a NewMotion charger with scheduled charging?

I have it scheduled for 00:30 to 04:30 to take account of cheaper overnight electricity rates. I have a tethered charging cable.

At first, it worked fine. When i plugged the cable into the car, a blue light around the charging port on the car indicated scheduled charging ; and then the charging point showed on the NewMotion webpage as “occupied” (they don’t seem to have an app for home charging), then at 00:30, this changed to Charging and I had the green flashing port on the car. A few hours later, the car was charged.

However, for the past few weeks, this has been inconsistent. It works maybe 1 out of 4 times. Although the car has a blue light around the charging port, if I looked in the Volvo app, it sometimes said the battery was full, the charging point web page would show up as “Error” or sometimes “Available” and then later show “error” with a red light on the point itself; and I would be unable to remotely reset or stop/start the charging point. Often this would be in the 30 mins or so before it was due to start.

The only way to get this to charge would be to either reset the fuse of the charging point, and/or to go out and unplug the car; and plug it in again, Not and option I want to do at 00:30 every night, setting off my security lights and disrupting the neighbours!

I have an outstanding case open with NewMotion who’ve suggested that they’ll need to send out an engineer (and given the lead times people are suggesting for installations, I’m not holding out much hope on this being this side of Christmas!).

Just wondered if anybody else had experienced similar issues?

cambb

Post by cambb »

I have the NewMotion charger but no option on my Iphone to schedule a charge. It charges it OK straight away when i plug it in.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

My new motion charger schedules fine click on saved locations and its there
Mondiniho

Post by Mondiniho »

So NewMotion replaced the charger on 1st december; and supplied one with updated firmware, which lasted about 4 hours after the engineer left.

Now is offline and can’t be seen by NewMotion. It constantly shows as “Available” on their online dashboard, but will no respond to any remote commands. Resetting the fuse has not resolved the issue.

They pass this off to their agents, JoJu - who have contacted me; and offered an engineer visit on the 11th Jan 🤬 - 6 weeks after the initial visit.
Mondiniho

Post by Mondiniho »

If someone has worked out the dark art of getting scheduled working on their Home Advanced New Motion charger, can they please share?

I’m on my 3rd charger now; and the only way I can get this to work is to plug the car in with scheduled charging on - wait till 12.30am - then turn the scheduled charging off on the Volvo app, then try and start a session on the charger via the NewMotion web page

Often though I have to do a remote reset of the charger before it will start charging… not an optimum solution as you can appreciate.

I also no longer get the status on the webpage of “Occupied”, it permanently shows as “available” - except when it is actually charging

I’ve currently got 2 old chargers sitting in my shed if anyone wants them, NewMotion have shown little interest in collecting them despite me prompting them. I;m sure the 2nd one is completely buggered, its still showing as Available on my dashboard even though there;s been no electricity to it in 2 months.:|
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

Hi all
I’ve finally had my NewMotion EV charger installed yesterday (ordered in June 21). The charger works fine using the NewMotion card after you swipe on the top of the charger unit.

However, I’ve not been able to use any Shell Recharge / NewMotion app that works for home charging, let alone scheduled home charging. Also, the Volvo on-call app does not seem to recognise the car when it is connected to the NewMotion charger (@7kw), though it does if I use the Volvo cable connected directly to the mains electricity (@3kw).

I know the charger was free (thanks Volvo), but the 8 month wait, and then next to zero instruction and support from Shell, has seriously compromised my customer experience.

As other posters have identified on this thread, any help/experience that can be passed on to other NewMotion/Shell Recharge users will be very gratefully received!👍🏻
Kind regards
Andy
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

This is desperately unhelpful, but I am very glad that I opted for the £500 cash instead, and put this towards a PodPoint, which has been faultless.
The latest update I had from NewMotion before I cancelled the order was that scheduled charging was not available and there was no app available in the UK to manage charging.

You say the Volvo app doesn't recognise the car when plugged in to the NewMotion charger, but does it actually charge?
Sometimes I've found there's a time delay between the app and the car. Might be this?

If you have a PHEV, you will only be able to charge at 3.7kW on an EVSE vs. 2.3kW on a granny charger.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

step2534 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 pm My new motion charger schedules fine click on saved locations and its there
That is the car doing the scheduling, not the charger.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

Rockford wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:24 pm You say the Volvo app doesn't recognise the car when plugged in to the NewMotion charger, but does it actually charge?
Sometimes I've found there's a time delay between the app and the car. Might be this?

If you have a PHEV, you will only be able to charge at 3.7kW on an EVSE vs. 2.3kW on a granny charger.
@Rockford
The car charges after I have swiped my NewMotion chargecard on the charger. However, when the car is connected to the charger, the Volvo on call app does not connect to the car. For example I can’t pre condition the car, like I can if I use the Volvo cable connected via a 3 pin plug.

The car charger will only allow charging @ 3.7kw (this is a Volvo constraint).🤦🏻‍♂️ However, it can charge other cars @ 7kw, so will be of use for my future cars after the XC40 T5.🙄

Pretty frustrating to be honest. At least it has cost me nothing…
Kind regards
Andy
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

Just a quick update…

The Volvo on call app is now connecting to the far, so maybe the newly installed NewMotion charger needed to register with Shell first?

I still don’t have a NewMotion (to become Shell Recharge) app that allows me to schedule charging, maybe this will come in a future app?
Kind regards
Andy