Heater fan blowing very hot air, not adjustable.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

Heater fan constantly blew hot air for 20 mile drive no matter what temperature was set
Had to switch off heating / AC system and open windows.

The problem self rectified after car parked overnight. ????
Suspect an electronic / software glitch.

Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

@malkyxc40, had exactly the same issue a couple of days ago - cleared overnight. Prob glitch as you describe
Black T3 R Design. Petrol
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I have had this twice now. I tried turning off the engine when at the traffic lights. That did not work. Only after stopping the car and allowing the ignition to turn off after the usual delay did the heating reset.
GdpCars

Post by GdpCars »

I've had this "intermittently" for 2 years - have had my local dealer look at least 4 times but they say they couldn't find a problem (although the last time they managed to move the initial symptoms from the passenger side to the drivers side and now also seems to have introduced the reverse issue in that if it started at low temperature it stayed there :( )
Normal way I've managed to mostly avoid the issue is to keep temperature below 21 or 22 when I switch the car off, then it typically has operated ok, but as a non-existent problem it is getting worse/more frequent over time (and no doubt dealer will find the problem next time, as now out of warranty!)
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

I had this problem yesterday on a 30 mile drive. I tried all the different driving modes and trying stopping locking/unlocking but still had crazy heat.
I'm not sure if its even worth taking it to the dealer.
Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription Recharge (PHEV) in Glacier Silver
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Had the same problem, heater blowing out very hot air. Could not turn off. Took it to local dealer near Worcester. They had a look and told me they tried to re calibrate a heater motor! No joy it would need to be replaced. Took car to my local dealer who couldn’t give me a courtesy car for over a week. Not happy. They did manage to get one in 2 days. They said they would get this motor. However when I went to pick the car up they said they hadn’t changed the motor just updated the software!!!!! So will see what happens.
Megic

Post by Megic »

Happend to me too. I January out of sudden passenger side started blowing hot air. I couldn't adjust it. Taken car to the garage they updated software but today it happened again... i have enough of this car😡 there is no month with no issue since i have it
stu22

Post by stu22 »

This was one of the issues that ended up being the demise of our XC40 - many visits to the dealer, 4 separate recoveries due to electrical failure and Volvo technical involvement.
Never was resolved so traded it for a new XC60 - god help whoever purchased our one!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've had it stuck on Hot. Parked up for 10mins with it locked and it reset itself. It also seems to go Cold sometimes too, but i just live with it.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
CB89

Post by CB89 »

I had the same issue back in September with blowing hot air on the driver side no matter what the climate settings were changed to. Took the car to dealership (Waterhouse Volvo) who reset the software which worked a few weeks then went back to blowing only hot air. Took the car back and they diagnosed a faulty climate control module, which was replaced under warranty and seems to have resolved the issue.
XC40 | Momentum | T3 Auto | Ice White
Ordered Feb ‘20 - Arrived end of June