Live traffic information

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

The live traffic information provided through the pSIM internet connection is helpful and appears to be reasonably up to date, but on occasion it shows queuing traffic on the other side of the road: i.e. in the opposite direction! Rather confusing. Have others noted this?

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I don't think the live traffic display is connected to either any planned route or direction of travel, it simply shows congestion etc. data relevant to the displayed map area.

Any offered re-routeing, however, should take into account the direction of any disruption (if it is directional).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
gripross

Post by gripross »

Sherwood wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm I don't think the live traffic display is connected to either any planned route or direction of travel, it simply shows congestion etc. data relevant to the displayed map area.

Any offered re-routeing, however, should take into account the direction of any disruption (if it is directional).
Picked my new car up Monday and its first time i have had car offering alternative routes as pop ups on screen. i chose to ignore them at my peril...spent 4 hours on M1 /M62 as was a serious accident on my route from Leeds back home to Sheffield.... and i did notice while queing it showed congestion on other side of M1 so there may be a bug to sort
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Yes I've noticed congestion on the wrong side of the road a few times. Also sometimes it shows no congestion and only when I've been queuing in traffic for a few minutes does it appear, as if it needed my position information to feed back into the system in order confirm congestion was present.

I'll definitely be speccing CarPlay next time so I can compare to other systems on my phone.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Hi Sherwood. I may not have explained myself sufficiently clearly. This has nothing to do with route setting. As with Google maps, the coloured infills representing degrees of congestion are shown separately for each of the two directions, even on single carriageway roads. What my comment referred to was my experience that sometimes the expectation that there will be some delay in one’s journey is false, because it turns out that the road ahead is clear and the slow moving or stationary traffic is in the opposite direction. This does not occur often but I have seen it more than a few times and it can lead to an unnecessary decision to take an alternative route. If I have set a destination for a journey, I accept any advice to take a diversion on roads that I do not know well but I sometimes ignore it for places with which I am familiar.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

.....after a couple of replies, I realised the gist of your issue (and that I had misunderstood :oops: ).

It would be interesting to see how data from the same real-time provider is displayed on other systems. AIUI, the road network is effectively segmented into portions to which traffic data can be pinned. It only (metaphorically) takes a simple slip of the finger either to encode those segments wrongly, or alternatively assign real-time data to the wrong segment. I've seen anomalies on other systems that I've put down to one or other of those.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

gripross wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 pm
Sherwood wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm I don't think the live traffic display is connected to either any planned route or direction of travel, it simply shows congestion etc. data relevant to the displayed map area.

Picked my new car up Monday and its first time i have had car offering alternative routes as pop ups on screen. i chose to ignore them at my peril...spent 4 hours on M1 /M62 as was a serious accident on my route from Leeds back home to Sheffield.... and i did notice while queing it showed congestion on other side of M1 so there may be a bug to sort
3 cars ago I had a Renault Kadjar, and that taught me the lesson... The redirect for traffic on the Sensus is first class. I also use the traffic listing feature, available in the main map screen, press the 3 dots at the bottom, then Ahead and you get two tabs, POIs and Traffic... Sometimes you can't avoid it...
gripross

Post by gripross »

Thank you Larry...i will indeed give it a try
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21