Steering Wheel peeling

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Morse

Post by Morse »

The covering on the steering wheel has started to peel. The car will be three years old in December and only has 17,367 miles on the clock. Anyone else had this? Suspect this will not be covered under warranty but will be contacting the dealership.

68D14372-DD5A-4765-9A53-551DCCD82583.jpeg

36A20ECA-C4DE-4D51-A3D4-E75A47C6F505.jpeg

T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Someone here has:

Screenshot_2021-10-07-13-02-37-105.jpeg

MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Can't see why an item of failure without sign's of misuse is not covered under warranty?
Morse

Post by Morse »

Good point Re cleaning chemicals. The answer is whilst I do not, I have regularly taken the car to a ‘hand’ car wash to have both the interior and exterior attended to. As such I cannot attest to what cleaning solutions they use, never really given it a second thought.

:shock:
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Morse wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:05 pm Good point Re cleaning chemicals. The answer is whilst I do not, I have regularly taken the car to a ‘hand’ car wash to have both the interior and exterior attended to. As such I cannot attest to what cleaning solutions they use, never really given it a second thought.

:shock:
Just another thought, what if hand sanitizers are the culprit? I use a tone of these when getting behind the wheel ever since the pandemic began.
typolee

Post by typolee »

As above hand sanitisers will strip the surface of most things!
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

I had this happen to me in two of my previous cars, both Ford Mondeo's and pre-pandemic!

Ford basically said it is general wear

Unfortunately, it is one of the downsides of using "sustainable" materials...they're generally rubbish
Morse

Post by Morse »

That’s a great point re hand sanitizers, I have indeed used these constantly after getting back in the car following shopping etc. I think this is most likely the culprit. I emailed the dealership last week and sent the pics. They have not responded yet. Be interesting to hear their response.
Morse

Post by Morse »

Update on response from dealer. I called dealer yesterday as they had not responded to my email. Service manager reviewed images and agreed this will be covered under warranty and said he would order in a new steering wheel. As the car was due for 3rd year service in December and needed it’s first MOT we agreed to delay the change until then and I have booked it in for 2nd week in December. So result!
On another matter, I received a mailshot from Volvo yesterday offering extended warranty for 1 year given that 3 year warranty expires in December. Thought it was quite pricey @ £407 so I searched around re generic motor warranty policies. Motoreasy came back at £493 so I figured that the Volvo offer was a decent price and purchased that. Annoyingly you can only purchase 1 year at a time, so will consider annually I guess going forward. The surprise for me was learning the current value of the car. To produce a quote for the warranty the Motoreasy site required current mileage and car value. I had absolutely no idea of value now the car is almost 3 years old, so I typed in reg details on Webuyanycar site. It came back at a shade over £31k which meant the car has lost only £9k in 3 years. (I appreciate what the site quotes and what they are likely to actually pay will differ) but nevertheless I found that depreciation quite remarkable. Is this in line with others expectations?
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Broadly speaking, used car prices have jumped by 25% over the last year due to pandemic-related shortages.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel