Volvo’s Integrated Running Boards

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

This is, of course, nonsense. They are a standard accessory and insurers will treat them as such.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

No sorry it is not nonsense. But thanks for your valuable feedback.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Probably useful for washing the roof instead of opening the door to stand on the sill, but don't think that's enough for me to splash out :))
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Never ask for an opinion on a forum as you’ll get the sort of ridiculous reply’s seen here.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Greggspies wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 am This is, of course, nonsense. They are a standard accessory and insurers will treat them as such.
I don’t think it’s cut and dry in all cases. Many years ago, we had a golf. It was a lovely car and it had a few factory fitted options, the winter pack being one of them. During an insurance claim (it had been damaged by a passing bus) the insurance lady on the end of the phone claimed that the car had been modified. No it hasn’t I protested. The lady insisted that because it had a factory fitted option, it was therefore modified. I had to speak to her manager to straighten her out. I think (know) that a factory fitted option shouldn’t be a problem. An OEM accessory should be treated in exactly the same way. But if you get the sort of ill informed idiot that I spoke to on the phone and you haven’t told them about accessory, it might take a bit of sorting out.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Not in all cases, no. But the running boards don't stick out at all beyond the doors and Volvo of all makers wouldn't be selling accessories that were potentially unsafe.
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

Greggspies wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 am This is, of course, nonsense. They are a standard accessory and insurers will treat them as such.
As somebody who’s had a vehicle with manufacturer running boards installed (and insured) in the past, perhaps I can put this one to bed - or at least offer my experience.

In a nutshell, Greggspies is correct. Our Tiguan running boards were a dealership-fitted, VW accessory. Over our ownership of the Tiguan we were insured with LV, Admiral, and John Lewis.

The boards were declared at every insurance renewal, and were always treated as any other manufacturer option: noted on the paperwork, but not considered a modification, and not charged additionally for.

I’ve had confirmation from my dealership that the boards have now been installed onto our XC40 so hoping to receive photos later on today.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I'm amazed that anyone should need to declare dealer installed accessories when getting insurance. News to me, after 50 yeas of car ownership! Should I mention the mudflaps?
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

hello there
this is my first reply to a thread on this forum since joining in jan 21 after purchasing my xc40 on jan 2nd.so it is about time i joined in.
not trying to be clever but have a lot of experiance with running boards.
firstly insurance,as in all insurances and things concered with talking to people over the phone i think a lot depends on who you talk to as in my case.
correct me if i am wrong but there is a difference in factory fitted and dealer fitted,if the dealer fits it is then classed as a added extra.
for instance my last three cars where nissan qashqais all with side bars but fitted by a independant company.
i was insured by axa and informed them i had fitted running boards to which i was refused insurance(as i said i think it depends on who you talk to)so i put the question"so you dont insure cars such as range rovers etc"to which the reply was yes we do because they are factory fitted.
so obviosly they come with the car whether you like it or not it is part of the car,if a dealer fits it is classed as a optional extra.
anyway changed to general accident with no problem and actually got the exact policy and £40.00 cheaper and declaring running boards.
as soon as i purchased my xc40 i telephoned the independant company that i use as they were advertising xc60 boards but not xc40 to see what they could do for me.
they said they wanted to fit for the xc40 but being newish model i was the first to ask.so cut a long story short i got a great deal from them to take my car and make the correct brackets to fit,then in one week went back and had them fitted.
running boards cost average £250.00 plus fitting which takes about 1/2 hours to fit which compared to nissan and volvo saving upto 50%
there is also a good choice of boards and the ones i have fitted still retain the mud flaps.unfortunatly i dont no how to put photos up on the forum.
i have not named the company because i am not sure it is allowed on the forum but if it is then let me know and i can give the website details
finally i have no financial gain or anyway involved with this company.
after using them four times i think they deserve some credit for being so proffesionall
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Is there not a difference from an insurers point of view between an accessory made by Volvo and fitted by a Volvo dealer and what you describe Melvin, which is a third party (and presumably not approved by Volvo) accessory fitted by an independent? I'm not criticising your actions. just interested...