Volvo’s Integrated Running Boards

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

this is only my opinion but as i said before as in all different walks of life one company says one thing and another the opposite
my point to what i am trying to get across is factory fitted comes from the factory,you take the car as it comes, dealer fitted comes from the dealer you ask for optional extra
i may be wrong but i believe dealer fitted is classed as optional extra as far as the insurance companies are concerned
also why would i have to ask motability

melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

try to put a better prospective into this issue
when you insure a vehicle i presume the database gives every detail of the car ie range rover comes with running boards as standard from factory
volvo xc40 does not,therfore you ask for them to be fitted now becomes optional extra which as to be declared,so for the insurers prospective great we can now put the price up.
also dont no whether it as now changed but if you look for insurance on websites you have drop down box to declare what extras you have purchased
there are no running boards you click on bull bars,asked my insurer and they said they class running boards as bull bars.
not going to argue with my insurer but to me a bull bar is completley different to running boards
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Sorry Melvin, I deleted the reference to Motability. Wrong forum!
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
---

Post by --- »

Johnkavanagh wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 pm Hi all. Does anybody here have the official running boards on their XC40?

Mine is sitting with the dealer waiting for the parts to come in for install. I’d love to see others if anybody has photos? They only became available last month as I understand, and only compatible with MY2021-onwards. No photos to be found online yet!
Hey Johnkavanagh, we've been looking at getting a set for our MY2021 XC40 T5-Recharge, once we heard they were out. We would have liked to have tried our smaller member with a sample vehicle, but the closest we could find was a dealer with a XC60 with running boards. Not really comparable, but we'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you get them!
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

--- wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:45 am Hey Johnkavanagh, we've been looking at getting a set for our MY2021 XC40 T5-Recharge, once we heard they were out. We would have liked to have tried our smaller member with a sample vehicle, but the closest we could find was a dealer with a XC60 with running boards. Not really comparable, but we'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you get them!
That's no problem at all. Ours arrives tomorrow - running boards fitted - so will let you know! Our little one is four, she used the running boards on our Tiguan to clamber in and out of the car all the time. Still needed some help getting up to seat-level but that's not the case as she's grown. My father has Parkinsons and found them very useful for getting in and out.

I'll let you know more XC40-specific as soon as it arrives. In the meantime, here's a couple of stills from the video the dealership sent:

Coincidentally - and going back to the other topic on this tread. I've insured the XC40 with LV today, with the running boards declared. As it's a Volvo accessory, it was explained that it made no difference to the cost, and would simply be noted on the policy.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Those boards look really good and i think they complement the car well! I'm considering them as our soon-to-be-newbord will probably need in a few years, but what worries me as it happened on other cars with boards (i did not own) is when getting out, they tend to touch the back of your pants and you easily get dirty, the extended doors protecting the sills and keeping them clean is the best thing ever since sliced bread lol.

I'm pretty tall at 1.90m but i wonder how you feel about stepping out of the car after you try them for a few days!
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 pm Those boards look really good and i think they complement the car well! I'm considering them as our soon-to-be-newbord will probably need in a few years, but what worries me as it happened on other cars with boards (i did not own) is when getting out, they tend to touch the back of your pants and you easily get dirty, the extended doors protecting the sills and keeping them clean is the best thing ever since sliced bread lol.

I'm pretty tall at 1.90m but i wonder how you feel about stepping out of the car after you try them for a few days!
Thank you. Difficult to tell from the photos, but I think they look great!

I hear talk about getting the backs of your legs dirty a lot. It has never been something I or my family have experienced, and this will be our third smallish SUV with manufacturer running boards fitted.

Maybe we just get into cars differently to other people! It may also be something more problematic with wider, non-OEM items? I’ll let you know if these are any different, although I’d be surprised from previous experience..
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I don't know - these just don't look at all practical to me. I just don't see how even a small child would have issues getting in the XC40. I feel I would be tripping over these things all the time getting in and out of the car. I had a set of running boards on my company 2021 Chevy Silverado pickup that I got last year. I hated them. I was always slipping off of them and hitting them when getting out of the truck. They always seemed to be in an awkward position to use effectively. I removed them from my truck. I have to admit I also think they ruin the lines of the vehicle. They look like a cheap accessory and don't look cohesive to the design. Probably just me.
---

Post by --- »

Thank you Johnkavanagh, they look great. I'm going to have to make a visit to my closet dealer now :-). All the best for picking up the XC40 with the running boards installed!
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

--- wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:30 am Thank you Johnkavanagh, they look great. I'm going to have to make a visit to my closet dealer now :-). All the best for picking up the XC40 with the running boards installed!
Thank you. Car arrived bright and early on Saturday morning. So far, it's been really great. Our daughter has just turned four, is around 1m tall, and has been very happy clambering in and out using the steps. No problems so far with dirty backs of legs either! I'm very pleased. If you do opt for them, try haggling with your dealer: I was able to knock nearly £200 off by asking nicely..