New map update out

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Felindre wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:18 am Not noticed before, in the active display, when you have the map between the dials, along the bottom it gives the location, and I've just noticed at junctions it's now showing the lanes, which go right left and straight on, even when not got a route selected. Is this new or me only noticing after 11 months?
It was a while before I noticed this feature but it's probably always been there. It's a lot smaller than the junction and lane layouts I have had on my other cars so that's why I took some time to notice it.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

grime

Post by grime »

"The displayed limit is a (complex) hybrid of traffic sign recognition and map data, depending on circumstances and the availability and frequency of signs. (Lack of signs meaning map data may be used). The manual seems to support this view"

I can agree with this comment, I have (sometimes) noticed a 'stack' of speed limits indicated in the usual manner in the drivers display as if the embedded maps data is overwritten by a recently changed speed limit or a temporary speed limit (for roadworks, etc).

Do other drivers have experience with variable overhead speed limit signs? Some of our major freeways have huge (spanning the full roadway width) illuminated speed indication which can vary the limit, usually 110, 100, 90, 80, 60, etc. depending on traffic flow considerations and so on. These displays consist of a matrix of red indicators to form and represent the required digits however the XC 40 seems to have difficulty recognising the characters, generally it seems to be something of a guess at what is being displayed. For example, when the speed limit indicates 80 my display can show 50, or 30 or??

By the way, this is in sunny Australia (Melbourne). We drive a 12/2018 XC 40 which has just rolled over 30,000 Kms (and now out of warranty).
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

grime wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:31 am "The displayed limit is a (complex) hybrid of traffic sign recognition and map data, depending on circumstances and the availability and frequency of signs. (Lack of signs meaning map data may be used). The manual seems to support this view"

I can agree with this comment, I have (sometimes) noticed a 'stack' of speed limits indicated in the usual manner in the drivers display as if the embedded maps data is overwritten by a recently changed speed limit or a temporary speed limit (for roadworks, etc).

Do other drivers have experience with variable overhead speed limit signs? Some of our major freeways have huge (spanning the full roadway width) illuminated speed indication which can vary the limit, usually 110, 100, 90, 80, 60, etc. depending on traffic flow considerations and so on. These displays consist of a matrix of red indicators to form and represent the required digits however the XC 40 seems to have difficulty recognising the characters, generally it seems to be something of a guess at what is being displayed. For example, when the speed limit indicates 80 my display can show 50, or 30 or??

By the way, this is in sunny Australia (Melbourne). We drive a 12/2018 XC 40 which has just rolled over 30,000 Kms (and now out of warranty).
I have had no problem with UK variable speed signs, it seems to pick them up with surprising ease.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

jamie307 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 am There was some long-term temporary roadworks on a dual carriageway near me with a 50 limit for about two years. My car still flashes up with a 50 limit sign on the dash despite all the signs and speed limit being removed a year ago and it just being a 70 all the way through with no signs at all.

Anyone know how to notify map/speed corrections to whoever supplies the Volvo maps?

If nobody does that, errors will never be corrected.

I had an error in the TomTom map of the road outside my house. They have what looks seems to be a good Updates notification service.
Sent them my update three times over 4 years (each time quoting all their own previous references)
Eventually the map was corrected.
MY2020 R-Design
brigstowe

Post by brigstowe »

From the Volvo UK support site

Suggest new map information with Map Creator

On Here's Map Creator service, you can create an account to log in and suggest map changes. Instructions for how to do this are also found there.

The changes you suggest are sent to Here for review. Once the information has been verified and approved, the information you suggested is added to their maps. The changes will be available in your Volvo after your suggestion has been approved by Here and implemented in a map update that you then install in your navigation system.

Suggestions for changes and additions that are reported are reviewed and checked thoroughly before Here approves them and adds them to their maps. It can take up to twelve months before the changes reach the maps in your car. For information about how you update the maps in the car, see MapCareTM

Note

Volvo does not have the opportunity to verify, approve or implement the requests for map changes you send to Here.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

pwliv wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:54 am
grime wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:31 am "The displayed limit is a (complex) hybrid of traffic sign recognition and map data, depending on circumstances and the availability and frequency of signs. (Lack of signs meaning map data may be used). The manual seems to support this view"

I have had no problem with UK variable speed signs, it seems to pick them up with surprising ease.
I didn't have any issues with variable speed signs, especially on highways, here in Croatia and surrounding countries. MY XC40 picks them up with ease.
For any other speed limitations within the city limits, just find some lorry to drive behind. You'll be surprised how suddenly you are able to go 60 mph in a city centre 🤣
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I sometimes have an issue with a 50 overlayed on a 60 or 60 overlayed on a 70 on the driver display, even though there is no change in speed limit.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

brigstowe wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:44 pm From the Volvo UK support site

Suggest new map information with Map Creator
[snip]
Well spotted, thanks. Had forgotten it was Here Maps in Sensus Navigation.

Also just noticed that all new models are Google Maps. But Volvo have always supported old navigation systems, so no worries there.
MY2020 R-Design
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

DanishPastry wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Well spotted, thanks. Had forgotten it was Here Maps in Sensus Navigation.

Also just noticed that all new models are Google Maps. But Volvo have always supported old navigation systems, so no worries there.
It's more complex than that (but in a good way)

HERE is now owned by a conglomerate of automotive companies (BMW, VAG & Mercedes as well as Intel, Nippon and Mitsubishi). It is what was Navteq before it was bought out by Nokia

You can see why a car company would want to own a map company as we boldly enter a self driving future but HERE (just like Garmin and TomTom and others) also sell their data into the likes of Apple and Google and each other. They also buy data as well.

So if you update something in say Google maps, that correction will (eventually) filter through into all of the others.

But of course Volvo isn't part of the HERE owners circle so whilst it would be unthinkable for BMW to switch to Google maps, for Volvo it's less of a big deal
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde