New map update out

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

How about plug the USB stick in and just drive as per normal as it resumes the update. Also monitor update in the updates menu :roll:
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Cornishman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 pm You DO get the download progress bar on the Sensus download app (Why would you need it on the Display - it's all on the USB and this is an install, not a file copy). My Display shows % progress for the install, certainly when you have the "block display" on (Nav, Radio, Phone etc)... It takes exactly 30 minutes to do the NW Europe 53GB install, and has done with all the updates in the last year.
Just checking I understand what you're saying...

Yes, I do get a %age display when I download a NW Europe map update to the PC.
Then I copied to a USB stick (took about 5 seconds).
When you say 53GB, I think that is for 'all Europe'. NW Europe is labelled as 2GB by Volvo even though the download is actually 2.8GB.

When I plugged my memory stick into the car, containing 2.8 GB of NW Europe map data, it resulted in 40-60 minutes of spining wheel icon and nothing else.

Do you see something different? Perhaps I'm missing a software update.
MY2020 R-Design
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Chris John wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:01 pm How about plug the USB stick in and just drive as per normal as it resumes the update. Also monitor update in the updates menu :roll:
Drive as normal means 5-20 minutes/month here. So that doesn't really work for getting updates done. Realise I am an outlier.
MY2020 R-Design
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

DanishPastry wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:01 pm As my year of free Voda P-SIM is finished, did this map update via USB.

I'd forgotten how painfully slow USB update is. I think the spec says USB2 (480 Mbps) but that would transfer NW Europe in under a minute. I don't think so...

I bunged the fast, high-spec USB memory stick in (after remembering the 3 files need to be in the root, not left in the Sensus Update SPA (North West Europe) folder).
Unlike an OTA download update, where you get a percentage bar for downloading and then another one for installing, much cruder for USB updates. Just a spinning wheel icon.

After 20 minutes I arrived so switched off and returned later. Did it restart or resume... who knows.
Didn't want this update hanging over me, so took the long scenic route home.
Just over *40* minutes later, the spinning wheel dissapeared.

No message to say what was happening, and examining the map in DownloadCentre/Maps still showed the old version number.

I'm hoping it has transferred from the memory stick, unzipped on the car and will be installed on next restart.

OTA updates done in the past have been much quicker. It's a bit of a pain that things only happen when the ignition is on, otherwise slow updates wouldn't really matter; plug the USB stick in and walk away.

Just hope they never update the software such that a full Europe map update is required. You'd have to drive to Moscow and back to give it the time.
That's not how it's supposed to work

You are supposed to download the file from the website, RUN the file you have downloaded which in turn will then download the map and install it onto a USB stick and then put it in the car

If you just stick the download from the Volvo website straight onto the USB stick, nothing will happen
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

DanishPastry wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:37 pm
Chris John wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:01 pm How about plug the USB stick in and just drive as per normal as it resumes the update. Also monitor update in the updates menu :roll:
Drive as normal means 5-20 minutes/month here. So that doesn't really work for getting updates done. Realise I am an outlier.
Well if you only drive 5-20 minutes a month why bother with map updates :D
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

@M@rk I was doing the process correctly.
Chris John wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:27 pm Well if you only drive 5-20 minutes a month why bother with map updates :D
Good question!

Anyway, got into the car this morning and the centre display immediately said NW Europe map update has been installed.
Still no idea why the process took [20 minutes; break; another 40 minutes], but it is what it is.
During that ~ 60 minutes, I could see the activity light flashing on the USB stick, so the car was accessing it for most of that time.
MY2020 R-Design
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

Greggspies wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:04 pm There's a choice whether the car auto-updates maps or not, I seem to remember. In many years of using satnavs, I've yet to find any update made any difference to where I drive or the journeys I take. Except there was one occasion when on a main road which had been realigned, the satnav thought I was driving in a field, but I didn't feel the need to steer out of it and back onto the road!
The speed limits are embedded in the maps. That makes updates important as otherwise false speed limits will be displayed or used by the speed limiter. I think that speed limits change more frequently than physical road layouts.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

hotfrog wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:44 am The speed limits are embedded in the maps. That makes updates important as otherwise false speed limits will be displayed or used by the speed limiter. I think that speed limits change more frequently than physical road layouts.
I thought the speed limiter and warnings were based on the speed from traffic sign recognition. When I leave town there is a badly placed 40mph sign which the car never "sees" and it complains when I accelerate (it's been 40 for years).
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Stanno is right, speed limits shown in the driver display are taken from traffic sign recognition system, not from map database. Driving along a road sector where workers placed a temporary speed limit for the day pops up immediately on my display.
Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

I don’t have a SIM card - do the map updates still load as if by magic? Thanks. Chris
Black T3 R Design. Petrol