XC40 gearbox

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Hmm, my B4 R-Design does have a little bit of obvious TC slip on take of, but the transmission locks up very quickly..

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Outside lane at the traffic lights yesterday, foot down on green, car took off like a hare out the trap, no hints the revs rising ahead of the speed. It's why I was so convinced it had a physical clutch.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

DSG's were seen as a giant leap forward in auto-boxes, and maybe they are? But when they go wrong, and they do, boy they go wrong big and its nearly always when the mechatronic "sealed unit" lets in gearbox fluid and the electrics short - the torque converter gearbox has come along way, and in my view can outperform the DSG on all counts.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The XC40 Hybrid takes advantage of its dual clutch transmission in as much as the electric motor/ generator is connected to the even gear shaft on the input side of the box and is programmed to change between 2nd and 4th gear as the need arises. It can be just heard or felt changing between 50 and 60 mph when running on battery. I'd be interested to know how that is designed to benefit the performance or economy of the car, but it's certainly a neat trick.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

If you look up the AWF8G45 online, there are various sites which show brake bands (signature of the "sun and planet" nature of a TC box) and multiple internal clutches, hence covering the lack of TC slip...

Ref my earlier comment onT4/5 being dual clutch, I had a PM asking for confirmation which I can't find, so it was likely incorrect...
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

As Qark said earlier the current Recharge iteration of T4 and T5 are the only XC40s to have the 7 speed dual clutch transmission.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior