Faults - Worried!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Before ordering my T3 (expected October), I spent a lot of time reading the forum. Nothing has put me off putting my order in. I think confidence with your dealer has to be a priority. Things go wrong and you don’t mind if your dealership deals with it (unlike my current experience with SEAT!) . I would also look at the Driver Power survey. So many more people own these cars than are on forums.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022

RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

Joss wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 pm Hi Ron had the same problem with my XC 40 my dealer did an upgrade on the software a couple of weeks ago not had a problem since.
Hi Joss,

Thanks for the tip. I might just contact him to take a look - or maybe wait until its next service at the end of February, as it's not a major problem.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Morning

I have had a couple of faults with my T4 I Pro ....but nothing major, a couple of recalls done swiftly and an issue with remote starting and the start stop - all again sorted by the dealer professionally, it has never broken down, never let me down - I love my XC40, I still get very positive comments about it but I think the most reassuring thing I can say is that it is a very safe car, the automatic protection systems have prevented a couple of potentially serious RTA's (not my fault) and would I buy another? - already planning my swap to another in 12 months or so. If I have one criticism its thirstier than I expected out and about but on a MWay run in eco you get the MPG expected.

I'm no professional reviewer but I've had tiguans, CRV's Land Rover Disco's in the past - none as all round positive as the XC40 ( disco' was awful LOL) :D
bba

Post by bba »

Got my XC40 in April and I can honestly say that on balance it is the best car I have ever had! And I have had three Mercedes Benz S-Class, a BMW 7-series, and a 3-series most recently, among many others. The Volvo tech is nowhere near as good as in the 3-Series, particularly the Pilot Assist compared with BMW’s Driver Assist, but even so I prefer the XC40 as a package.

I will look long and hard at a BMW X3 or equivalent when the time comes to trade in the XC40, but it is is by no means a foregone conclusion what I will choose then.

My only complaint is the silly and unnecessarily large 19” wheels which do not improve the ride or handling in any way whatsoever, but that is a silliness that seems to plague nearly all higher specc’ed cars on the UK market forced on us by the teenagers in the marketing departments. The only functional reason for large rims is to enable the fitting of larger brakes. Large rims with small brakes is just dumb imho.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I think the RDesign comes with larger brake calipers that limit you to 19"+ , but on the other trims you can downsize to 18 if you'd prefer. Possibly even lower though your garage will be able to help there.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Not so, my R-Design has 18" wheels... The industry and stylists fixation with low profile tyres is pathetic, they must be in the pay of wheel insurance and repairers!
bba

Post by bba »

Cornishman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:39 pm Not so, my R-Design has 18" wheels... The industry and stylists fixation with low profile tyres is pathetic, they must be in the pay of wheel insurance and repairers!
Lucky you! Agree, and tyre merchants.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

ciuncky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:42 pm I think the RDesign comes with larger brake calipers that limit you to 19"+ , but on the other trims you can downsize to 18 if you'd prefer. Possibly even lower though your garage will be able to help there.
Think you're wrong there. The RD is standard with 18" but larger wheel options are available. The RD Pro comes with 20" as standard.

My RD has 18" wheels as standard.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

PlymDave wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:19 am I have an XC40 R Design on order and after reading this section on faults I'm beginning to question my decision. There seems to be a whole raft of problems with this vehicle, despite all the positive "professional" reviews I'm starting to think I'm buying one of the most unreliable and problematic cars on the market after reading this forum.
So given all the replies in the thread you started...are you cancelling your order? Or have you seen the light that the XC40 is a reliable car and pretty problem free?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Yes Blastpipe, I'm continuing with my order and can't wait to pick it up next month. Just testing the reactions a bit I guess which worked out exactly as I hoped.