Faults - Worried!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I have an XC40 R Design on order and after reading this section on faults I'm beginning to question my decision. There seems to be a whole raft of problems with this vehicle, despite all the positive "professional" reviews I'm starting to think I'm buying one of the most unreliable and problematic cars on the market after reading this forum.

alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

I've had an XC40 brand new since September 2019. Only issue I have had was the gurgling sunroof which Volvo fixed in about 4 hours.

It's a fantastic car.......but not as good as my Mustang Mach-E :)
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
PC40

Post by PC40 »

PlymDave,

Like every other forum I think you’ll find that a lot of people will only post negative reviews. Positive reviews don’t get posted as much.
Just to reassure you. It’s nearly 4 years since I ordered my XC40 and nearly 3 1/2 since I took delivery. I’ve done 28k miles in that time and luckily I’ve not suffered any of the faults that others flag up.
Maybe I’ve been lucky, maybe most cars are ok.
My car was one of the first and I expected some issues as a totally new vehicle but fortunately apart from the fuel economy being less than expected, everything else has been fine.
MPG average is 33.2 which isn’t bad for a T5 petrol now I’ve got used to how to drive it economically but quickly.
Certainly I wouldn’t describe the car as unreliable and problematic.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

I was a member of the Tiguan forum, and when you go on that forum you wouldn't buy a Tiguan, but I had mine for nearly 6 yrs the only fault I had was with the media player, and that was because the dealer never updated the software. As PlymDave says, some people only like to post negative things. I've had my XC40 for 4Mths now and I love it!

Roy
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Very rarely do people come on a forum to post positive things about a car
I’m very pleased with mine. It’s a great car
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

In the Auto Express it came 8th out of 75 in the Power Drive Survey - 1000's of everyday users giving their opinion on the XC40 and reliability came in as excellent - BMW X1 was 74th.

enough said really.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I've had my ex-demonstrator since mid-August 2020 (it was registered by the dealer at the beginning of March 2020, but something called Covid scuppered his plans and it had only done 600 miles when I bought it) and I love it. The only problem I've had (irritation, really) is that if I leave the radio set to DAB rather than FM when I switch the car off, sometimes the infotainment system goes through two or three reboots when I next start it.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Joss

Post by Joss »

Hi Ron had the same problem with my XC 40 my dealer did an upgrade on the software a couple of weeks ago not had a problem since.
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

PlymDave,

We have had our XC40 R Design since May. Really enjoy the car and fault-free so far. Averaging around 42mpg. Absolutely no regrets!

Best wishes,
Chris
Black T3 R Design. Petrol
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

PlymDave wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:19 am I have an XC40 R Design on order and after reading this section on faults I'm beginning to question my decision. There seems to be a whole raft of problems with this vehicle, despite all the positive "professional" reviews I'm starting to think I'm buying one of the most unreliable and problematic cars on the market after reading this forum.
You obviously have little experience of car forums where so much focus is always on what has gone wrong..or why they are surprised it didn't come with car play because they got the spec wrong.

However if you want facts

Had mine for nearly 3 years now. Only trip to dealer has been for services, one loose numberplate light, and a brake software recall. Hardly an unreliable car.

But guess if you're looking to find reasons not to buy an XC40 you will probably find them. The others in the queue for one from the factory will be glad you pulled out.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019