Retrofit BLIS

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

Can anyone tell me if its possible to retrofit Blind Spot monitoring?

I'm sure it'll involved new wing mirrors but what else? software, processor modules?

At the time of ordering the dealer said BLIS was removed for the options because of the processor shortage. Based on this I cam only assume there a hardware module somewhere to install.
Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription Recharge (PHEV) in Glacier Silver

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Doubt it. You'll need the radar sensors in the rear flanks for starters

Best to ask a dealer as they would be the ones that would most likely do it.

Easier to buy a car that's already got it.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I pick up my XC40 in 2 weeks time (hopefully), I couldn't have BLIS or ACC due to the chip shortages. My dealership has two branches both of which gave me conflicting answers when I asked if they could be retrofitted, the salesperson at one said it could be retrofitted for £1100 whilst the salesperson at the other branch said it couldn't because of the radar units. Volvo cars on Facebook also say it cant. So its really a complete mystery.
If it can I'll have it but it's not a big deal if not.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Doubt it can...and honestly why would you think they can when the parts just aren't available - if they were it would be a factory option
Nevalti

Post by Nevalti »

My new XC40 (Inscription T4 PHEV) is waiting for me at the garage :P and I have ONLY JUST been told that it does not have BLIS or CTA :( . They CLAIM that it cannot be retrofitted but won't explain why :evil: .

I accept that there is a CURRENT chip shortage but the chips WILL be available in the future. Until I learn WHY it 'can't' be done, I will assume that it CAN be done but it is being avoided simply to enable Volvo to concentrate all their chip supplies into NEW cars and thereby make more money, rather than looking after the customers they have already pissed off. If a car with BLIS & CTA was accident damaged, it would be repaired with BLIS & CTA working - wouldn't it? It feels rather like a 'scam' to me trying to shift THEIR problem and trying to make it MY problem so that they don't have to bother complying with our contract :geek: . This has left a very nasty taste in my mouth making me want to spit.

WHAT IS NEEDED:
The two radar units - which very obviously could be retrofitted once they have them (think of accident damage).
The two mirrors - already installed.
The two speakers - already installed.
Speed sensor - already installed.
Steering sensor - already installed.
6 , maybe 12, multiplex decoders - to communicate with the computer.
Short bits of wiring - to connect to the bus.
Update the computer.

Even model railways utilise multiplexing these days. It is now pretty basic technology. A child who can build a DCC model railway could probably get BLIS & CTA to work once they get the right chips.

Does anyone know what is considered to be the difficult bit?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Nevalti wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:27 pm My new XC40 (Inscription T4 PHEV) is waiting for me at the garage :P and I have ONLY JUST been told that it does not have BLIS or CTA :( . They CLAIM that it cannot be retrofitted but won't explain why :evil: .

I accept that there is a CURRENT chip shortage but the chips WILL be available in the future. Until I learn WHY it 'can't' be done, I will assume that it CAN be done but it is being avoided simply to enable Volvo to concentrate all their chip supplies into NEW cars and thereby make more money, rather than looking after the customers they have already pissed off. If a car with BLIS & CTA was accident damaged, it would be repaired with BLIS & CTA working - wouldn't it? It feels rather like a 'scam' to me trying to shift THEIR problem and trying to make it MY problem so that they don't have to bother complying with our contract :geek: . This has left a very nasty taste in my mouth making me want to spit.

WHAT IS NEEDED:
The two radar units - which very obviously could be retrofitted once they have them (think of accident damage).
Update the computer.

Even model railways utilise multiplexing these days. It is now pretty basic technology. A child who can build a DCC model railway could probably get BLIS & CTA to work once they get the right chips.

Does anyone know what is considered to be the difficult bit?
When did you order it? BLIS hasn't been part of the specification for many months now.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Nevalti wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:27 pm
WHAT IS NEEDED:
Update the computer.
The mirrors will be different, those with BLIS have the LED bars in the glass
Additional wiring to the mirrors
Possibly different door controllers if BLIS is part of it
BLIS wiring harness to rear
BLIS controller to rear
Wiring harness BLIS controller to canbus

Probably not impossible, I've seen amazing things retrofitted over the years, but they probably aren't interested because of the complexity, and to be honest the cost for the parts at retail price and labour would probably be prohibitive.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Nevalti

Post by Nevalti »

Thanks for the quick replies.

To blastpipe: It was ordered on 28/05/2021. Delivery was promised for 01/09/2021. They now say they will deliver it to my house on 06/01/2022.

To Felindre: Mirrors are unlikely to be different units, they simply need the LEDs in them.
Wiring is unlikely to be any different. Why would they bother re-designing it?
There is most unlikely to be specific BLIS wiring to the rear- again…. why bother redesigning it?
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘door controllers’.

You hit the nail on the head saying that they “aren’t interested”. There is the truth of it.

In the USA, BLIS is retrofitted as a DIY job using scrapyard parts, leaving the Volvo dealer just to update the computer. That is with the old-style BLIS which used cameras in the mirrors. The new type seems even simpler to me. BLIS in one form or another has been in use since 2003 in Volvos and in MANY other brands. This is not high-tech stuff any more, it is common.

The T&Cs oblige the dealer to tell me if the spec changes so that I can cancel the order. They didn’t tell me, so now I am rather stuck. The T&Cs also oblige me to pay them in full within 14 days of being informed the car is ready for delivery, failing which they can cancel the delivery and sell it to someone else and charge me any costs they incur. By telling me just before Xmas, I have been obliged to pay in full with no chance of inspecting the car because of their holiday closing times. OK, maybe that wasn’t deliberate but it adds to the bad taste
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The BLIS issue due to chip shortages was being discussed from around May too....really would have hoped they would have sorted it by now.

I wouldn't want an XC40 now without BLIS. Could you consider cancelling and reordering with one of the new models out next year which appear to show BLIS at the moment anyway? You remain in a strong position as the dealer didn't inform you of the change in spec...assuming your paperwork shows that BLIS was included.

I've not seen or heard of anyone retrofitting BLIS successfully.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Re mirrors being the same and wiring included. Unlikely. Years of experience not Volvo but VW but the philosophy will be the same, there are often different variants, not redesigned but with and without components and the wiring into the doors. E.G. VW Dipping passenger mirror, there are 2 variants, one with the sensor for mirror position and it's wiring, one without these items fitted that doesn't dip.

Similarly wiring harnesses. It all costs money, harnesses these days are built to the specification of the car, not just all fitted with the same loom full of unnecessary wires. (There are programs out there showing how cars are made and they all refer to wiring harnesses assembled for each individual car being built.

Door controllers, these days everything does not go back to one black box, there are control modules distributed around the car to perform functions. So the function driving the LED's in the mirrors probably derives from a controller in each door, controlling the locks, windows, mirrors, and door lighting. These may be the same module that drives the BLIS LED's or there might be a variant of the module that has this function.

Profit is in not putting in anything that is not paid for.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21