Ignition won't go off

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

On a couple of occasions I haven't been able to turn the ignition off. I stop the engine as normal but when I open the door the message "ignition still active" comes up, and nothing I can do with the Start button will stop it. Getting out and locking the car seems to work, but I am puzzled to why this happens, whether it is a fault or I am doing something different (wrong!)
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist

Gkh1

Post by Gkh1 »

Unable to connect to car modem, any suggestions please
D3 Momentum Pro AWD Fusion red
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

pwliv wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 am On a couple of occasions I haven't been able to turn the ignition off. I stop the engine as normal but when I open the door the message "ignition still active" comes up, and nothing I can do with the Start button will stop it. Getting out and locking the car seems to work, but I am puzzled to why this happens, whether it is a fault or I am doing something different (wrong!)
I've had this a couple of times, i've put it down to having placed the car in N. Then you have to manually set Park before you can shut it off. If it's in Drive or Reverse, it'll auto set park.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Thanks Felindre, that sounds entirely likely! My BMW didn't have Neutral, so I am still getting used to double taps to get from D to R etc.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Bob

Post by Bob »

Felindre wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:04 pm
pwliv wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 am On a couple of occasions I haven't been able to turn the ignition off. I stop the engine as normal but when I open the door the message "ignition still active" comes up, and nothing I can do with the Start button will stop it. Getting out and locking the car seems to work, but I am puzzled to why this happens, whether it is a fault or I am doing something different (wrong!)
I've had this a couple of times, i've put it down to having placed the car in N. Then you have to manually set Park before you can shut it off. If it's in Drive or Reverse, it'll auto set park.
Yes, I encountered this the other day, car was in neutral and it wouldn't switch off, put it in Drive and it would. It threw me at first.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Joss

Post by Joss »

Gkh1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:00 am Unable to connect to car modem, any suggestions please
Have you put a sim in the modem in the boot if so put a tick in the box "connect automatically" and try again
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

You can set the car to put itself into Park when the engine is switched off
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Absolutely, pull up, press the off button, engine stops, car goes into park, handbrake comes on, BUT this only works in D or R, not in N (Bizarrely!) it's in the manual...
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Felindre wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 pm it's in the manual...
I must get around to reading it, I've only had the car 2 years and 9 months! :lol:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm an avid reader of the manual, but I only found out after having experienced this same issue, wondered what the heck, and gone there to check. :-)

There's all these little anomalies where everyone says x will happen, except when this other condition is present. A while back someone was complaining when the engine auto stopped, if they let go the footbrake the engine started up again. With all of us saying, no you can let go the footbrake it stays stopped. Then he discovered it's because he frequently uses the speed LIMITER, with it set, hey presto you have to keep the foot on the brake or the engine restarts!