Recharge help needed

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Looking to buy a new T5 PHEV to replace my 2019 T4 Inscription Pro, like has been mentioned here prices being offered for used cars are so good at present, less than £6000 depreciation over 3 years.

My problem is my garage space is really tight I need to pull well over to the near side to be able to get out of the drivers door.

If I have a charger installed in my garage I will not be able to connect the charger to the car once the car is in the garage. Is it possible to connect the charger cable to the car, drive into the garage, and then connect the cable to the charger box, or does connecting the cable itself prevent the car from being driven?

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Connecting the cable prevents you from starting/moving the car I'm afraid.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Thanks, may have to have a rethink how to get around this one.
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

I had the same issue to decide on a while back when I had the wall box installed with my last PHEV. There must be an assumption that no one uses a garage these days to actually put a car in. Anyway you’re right they are far too small for anything sized like an XC40 upwards.

You’ll end up managing your movements so you charge the car outside before putting it away. I still ended up putting the wall box just inside the garage but I do have an roller garage door, so it’s easy to roll the door down until just short of touching the cable and still charge it outside. Otherwise the box is better suited outside somewhere too.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

OK, it's a bit of a crazy idea, but I'll put it out there... Could you get a small hatch installed with a weatherproof cover in your garage wall, aligned with the position of the car charging port. This would enable you to connect the cable from an external wall box. It may also give you the option to charge on the drive if the garage was being used temporarily for other purposes. Happy to be shot down in flames!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Most garages are/were based on car sizes from the 50's. I doubt any modern car would fit and be able to get out both sides. I've never garaged any of our cars.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21