Lane Guidance

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Hans Antoes

Post by Hans Antoes »

Yesterday after nearly 2 yrs driving my XC40 I've decided to switch off "assist" in the Lane Guidance setting. I left it as warning only.

Nasty drive home the other night in the early hours. Motorway was down to a single lane for about 10 miles. Car routed into single lane between a temporary steel barrier and a line of cones. The existing white line on the left hand side hadn't been painted out and cars were expected to straddle it slightly to give enough room on the hard steel barrier to the right.

Car would NOT straddle, constantly trying to get (assist me) to get between the white lines and the barrier. Must have been about 6 inches off the steel barrier for the whole 10 miles.

White knuckle ride to say the least!

Switched off the Lane Guidance assist now, see how it goes when it happens again. Should be able to straddle the line then and drive a lot more comfortably.

Safety systems, who'd have them!

Drive the same route today and they've burnt off the white line now and painted a temporary one. Didn't happen at 1am in the morning though, unlit motorway. A real road to hell.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Hmmm. I had the "Collision avoidance" warning ping up yesterday for the first time since I set it to "low"... What was worse there was no other vehicle in sight?!? Oh err
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Activating direction indicator disables temporarily lane assist /guidance, it’s the quickest and safest way to switch off steering corrections when suddenly encountering a situation like you describe above. Owners Manual: When a direction indicator/flasher is switched on, there are no steering corrections or alerts from lane assistance.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I always disable 'Lane Guidance' and 'Stop/Start' prior to every journey
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I find the lane guidance much less aggressive than on the misses VW. Traffic in rural Wales means you often don't need to indicate, there's no one there to see it. However when moving out around a large puddle or cyclist it quite aggressively pulls you back in to the hazard, so you find yourself indicating to tell your own car what you're doing!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Max Volume

Post by Max Volume »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:28 am Activating direction indicator disables temporarily lane assist /guidance, it’s the quickest and safest way to switch off steering corrections when suddenly encountering a situation like you describe above. Owners Manual: When a direction indicator/flasher is switched on, there are no steering corrections or alerts from lane assistance.
What? So you'd advise Hans Antoes to drive the whole 10 miles with a direction indicator flashing? Hardly a practical solution.
Max Volume

Post by Max Volume »

ACertainAge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:32 am I always disable 'Lane Guidance' and 'Stop/Start' prior to every journey
I can see that Start/Stop can't be switched off permanently but is easy to do before each journey - it's simply a press of an icon/button on the screen.

But Lane Guidance? You really press that button before each journey. Why not switch it the once, needs doing just the once.
Last edited by Max Volume on Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Max Volume wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 pm
eugen61 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:28 am Activating direction indicator disables temporarily lane assist /guidance, it’s the quickest and safest way to switch off steering corrections when suddenly encountering a situation like you describe above. Owners Manual: When a direction indicator/flasher is switched on, there are no steering corrections or alerts from lane assistance.
What? So you'd advise Hans Antoes to drive the whole 10 miles with a direction indicator flashing? Hardly a practical solution.
Might not sound practical, but it’s a safe solution when steering correction suddenly pushes the car about 6 inches off the steel barrier. I wouldn’t advise anyone in this situation to take eyes off the road and start searching on the main screen for the line assist icon to turn it off…
Max Volume

Post by Max Volume »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 pm
Max Volume wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 pm
Might not sound practical, but it’s a safe solution when steering correction suddenly pushes the car about 6 inches off the steel barrier. I wouldn’t advise anyone in this situation to take eyes off the road and start searching on the main screen for the line assist icon to turn it off…
Yes, I guess you are right. Makes sense in that situation.

I think I'll reorder my icons and make sure I can switch off quickly if ever I'm in that situation.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I've left mine switched off since around 600 miles in after it tried to steer me into a sign on a stretch of dual carriageway. For some reason it was confused by two lanes on a gradual bend with a laybay to the left and tried to steer me across.