How Does The SatNav Work

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

I’m a bit confused (or dumb, or old… and I’m only in my early 40s!).

I have a 2021 R-design. As I bought it ex-display there is no SIM card in the boot. Since I bought it, I’ve always had my phone tethered via Bluetooth and have found the in-build SatNav good at rerouting me and letting me know about traffic.

I assumed this was pulling data from my phone via the bluetooth connection; but I went for a drive the other day and didn’t connect my phone to the car, yet the SatNav still worked with all the traffic info on etc.

How is this crazy voodoo magic possible? Am I missing something here as I’d assumed for SatNav to work properly it would need an internet access point either via the SIM
in the boot, or my phone.
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

The traffic info in the UK (Trafficmaster) is also transmitted by radio signal. My wife's car has an old Garmin, and the power lead acts as the aerial...
Hans Antoes

Post by Hans Antoes »

A limited amount of info is brought in by radio signal. A greater amount is brought in by the RTTI system (Real Time Traffic Information) when the SIM card or other data source (phone) is used AND the RTTI option is selected in settings.