Steering noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Car in for repair after developing a noise while parking. At very slow speeds (parking) and with full righthand lock there is a noise from the front left wheel. Both forward and reverse. You can also feel the knocking through the steering wheel.
Volvo dealer has been very good and have noticed the same and think its a strut top bush.
They have had this before.
Any one else experienced the same?
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Bazza wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 pm Car in for repair after developing a noise while parking. At very slow speeds (parking) and with full righthand lock there is a noise from the front left wheel. Both forward and reverse. You can also feel the knocking through the steering wheel.
Volvo dealer has been very good and have noticed the same and think its a strut top bush.
They have had this before.
Any one else experienced the same?
When my car was new, it developed something similar. At parking speeds, it would creak and bang when the steering was turned. It only did it after driving it for at least 20 minutes. Anyway, I sprayed both top rubber mounts with chain lube. Hasn’t done it for 18 months now.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Oh yes. I had this same issue. The noise occurred when the car had been warmed up, after 15 mins or so. It happened at low speeds (parking) on both left and right turns. I took it to the dealer who ordered and subsequently replaced the top mount. They returned the car and told me all was fixed. The noise was still evident after 5 mins of leaving the dealership. Not happy. Booked the car in a third time and told them to order every single item that ‘it could be’ as to not waste my time again. They duly ordered all driver side front suspension parts. It was booked in for two days. I received a call on the second day telling me they had fitted a complete new suspension to the driver side only for the noise to continue. They then ordered and fitted the same to the passenger side on day three. This finally solved the problem. Hopefully you will have a better experience than I did. I am still quite concerned that a car this young with only 14k on the clock could have such a problem. Seriously thinking of returning to BMW.
ujohnny

Post by ujohnny »

Same here noticed slightly unusual sounds first, currently it sounds like a metal spring while turning a steering wheel https://youtube.com/shorts/J3ikAUPL518?feature=share
hillocklane

Post by hillocklane »

Same here... Volvo ultimately changed the damper and the coil spring following some initial attempts with other suspension / steering parts - said the knock was the spring against the body. That was 600 mile in.

I've just come to the forum to search as it started knocking again 5000 miles in; not as bad, but low speed maneuvering it was becoming more present. I've also asked them to look at a rattle from the bulkhead / dash at motorway speeds which they are suggesting is connected to whatever they are looking at now with the steering / suspension.

Service desk mentioned something about bearings and also roll bar links - but guess i'll find out more tomorrow if its ready to collect. Not holding my breath, took a week last time!
ujohnny

Post by ujohnny »

Btw anyone who got suspension parts replaced, was it some service action with number in docs?
ujohnny

Post by ujohnny »

Got antirollbar links replaced first, but clicks were still there, so dealer also replaced strut bearings and coils both sides.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Here’s my noise. As I already said, sprayed the top suspension mounts with bike chain lube and it got rid of it. https://youtube.com/shorts/zrJgWYi0h1w?feature=share
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 am Here’s my noise. As I already said, sprayed the top suspension mounts with bike chain lube and it got rid of it. https://youtube.com/shorts/zrJgWYi0h1w?feature=share
Thanks for the video. Turns out I've had that noise since new. Back to the dealer again.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

That is dry friction noise from the springs sitting in the top suspension rubber mounting when the car is under full load i.e moving the steering whilst the car is stationary - if the wheels were off the ground - no noise. Spray with a silicon spay then all good.