Steering noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:50 am That is dry friction noise from the springs sitting in the top suspension rubber mounting when the car is under full load i.e moving the steering whilst the car is stationary - if the wheels were off the ground - no noise. Spray with a silicon spay then all good.
Yes and no. It used to do it 20mins into every journey. The car also didn’t have to be stationary. But agreed, the top mounts were/must have been dry because the bike chain lube worked. The type of lube also mattered. People experimented with different types and the chain lube seemed to be the way to go.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Hmm beware of the lubricants you use on whatever flexible polymer... You should only use silicon grease on rubber type stuff. Mineral oil based lubricants can make rubber swell
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:03 pm Hmm beware of the lubricants you use on whatever flexible polymer... You should only use silicon grease on rubber type stuff. Mineral oil based lubricants can make rubber swell
I agree, my dad always said never put vaseline on rubber!

On the original point, the noise was only when moving forward or back very slow never stationary. Same from start up and in both dry or wet weather. Sounded like a differential being wound up. Dealer swopped both strut tops (car has done 6k). Said they had done afew and torque settings had changed. Silent since, all done under waranty but Volvo had to OK it.
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

That's a point - maybe some strut's have been over tightened, and when 20-mins into a journey any heat expansion wouldn't help?
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:50 am That is dry friction noise from the springs sitting in the top suspension rubber mounting when the car is under full load i.e moving the steering whilst the car is stationary - if the wheels were off the ground - no noise. Spray with a silicon spay then all good.
I don't dry steer. That was beaten out of me years ago.
Kreisberg

Post by Kreisberg »

Can you lube top mount without putting car on lift?
Kreisberg

Post by Kreisberg »

Can you lube top mount without removing wheel?