Total Remote Key Failure.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

For everyone's interest - if you have a spare remote, take it with you!

On the 30th May 2021 our first long trip away from home in over 8 months. Later that day I collected my jacket from the car (after a 125 mile journey) to go out on a walk. Returned to the car to find the remote no longer worked (additional purchase from Volvo after I bought the car). Gained entry via the Volvo App and the display read that no remote was recognised. So I changed the remote battery thanks to my son-in-law but it still did not work. Read up on the emergency procedure (remove metal key from remote and open the car via the lock underneath the front nearside passenger door handle. So far, so good apart from the piercing car alarm. According to the manual you then place the remote on the key reader platform underneath the centre console arm rest and you should be able to start the car. Nothing (apart from the piercing alarm) so I locked the car using the Volvo App and then called Volvo Assistance who arrived within 90 minutes (it was a Sunday).

The emergency technician was also unable to get the remote to work. Fortunately my wife remembered she had her key with her so I wasn't totally stranded. The car is booked in at my Volvo dealership a week tomorrow for a replacement remote and I must remember to take ALL the remote key fobs with me!
Last edited by EmJay on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The emergency key reader is i think RFID not reliant on the battery in the key, so i'd say that was a pretty catastrophic failure. At the end of the day, it's an electronic device and they do occasionally fail. Reading what you wrote though it sounds like you went through all that, and then SWMBO says 'oh by the way i've got mine here' :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Yes, it is supposed to be RFID and the emergency technician was perplexed by the failure. To be absolutely fair to my wife, she has yet to drive the car because all her social life that did not also involve me collapsed. She only took her key out of habit.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Update 16 June 2021. Took the car in to my Volvo dealership this morning for the scheduled provision of a new key fob and recalibration of the other keys with the car. After an hour an embarrassed technician told me he was unable to program the keys even after repeated attempts as the Volvo System remained down and he was unable to download the software from Volvo UK/Sweden. Now rebooked in a for a week today.

Interestingly, the technician told me that the small buttonless key is to be discontinued and the "Orange" key will be able to be fully programmed once the software is available to a dealer - at extra cost to the customer of course! He also told me that the small buttonless "comfort" key does not give any indication in the car display that its battery was about to run out! Watch this space.........

Update 23 Jun 2021. Took the car back in today and had the new and other keys reprogrammed to the car. Got home and added a Profile to each key without any problem. I then discovered that I needed to reset my Volvo on Call iPhone App. VIN was recognised but the pin wasn't. Called the dealer for a new pin but the "expert" wasn't in today so would get a phone call tomorrow. Two hours later the App restarted and everything was fine. It was only logging in to this forum I then discovered that Volvo on Call server had crashed (was the dealership servicing manager unaware?). One thing after another! :roll:

What should have been a simple task took over three weeks to rectify.