Constant warning chime

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
AlGiff

Post by AlGiff »

Hi All,
First post after picking up my nearly new T3 manual Pro model a few weeks ago. Car has been faultless apart from a click from the clutch pedal everytime I push it down (I forget it is there most of the time).

But, today it has developed a very irritating fault. I parked up waiting for a friend, turned the car off but switched the ignition back on the listen to the radio. After some time the car powered down (assume this is happens to save battery power). I didn't turn the ignition back on again as my friend arrived.
I opened the drivers door and a warning chime went off. Assuming I'd left the ignition on I pressed the start stop button. The dashboard sprung into life so I switched it back off again.
I lock the car and meet my friend for a coffee....fast forward 30mins and I unlock the car and get back inside. To my surprise the warning chime is still there. There are no warning lights on the dashboard and no warning errors.
I open and close all doors and the boot...still the noise.
Turn car ignition off....still the noise.
Get out of the car, lock it, open it and get back in....still the noise.
I drive for 10mins hoping it will go away....still the noise.
I phone Volvo assist who want to send someone to me but I'm 1hr 30 from home and need to get back.
On the way home I call into a Volvo dealership who take a quick look but dont know why it is making the noise. We did a factory reset but that didnt fix the issue. The car drives perfectly but the noise is there, constantly chiming away.

I get home call Volvo assist who eventually, after waiting on hold for 40mins tell me that as it is not an emergency (thankfully or I'd be unhappy waiting for so long!) they cant send someone out and I need to call the local garage in the morning.

I've been home now for a few hours. Car sat on the drive locked and I can still hear the warning noise chiming away when stood outside.

I did consider disconnecting the battery but the boss is not keen on me messing with the car.
I've also tried to force a warning error and noise, I.e. getting out of car with ignition on or lights on. This brings up a dashboard error but doesn't make the noise stop.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen and how I can stop it?

billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

AlGiff wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:14 pm Hi All,
First post after picking up my nearly new T3 manual Pro model a few weeks ago. Car has been faultless apart from a click from the clutch pedal everytime I push it down (I forget it is there most of the time).

But, today it has developed a very irritating fault. I parked up waiting for a friend, turned the car off but switched the ignition back on the listen to the radio. After some time the car powered down (assume this is happens to save battery power). I didn't turn the ignition back on again as my friend arrived.
I opened the drivers door and a warning chime went off. Assuming I'd left the ignition on I pressed the start stop button. The dashboard sprung into life so I switched it back off again.
I lock the car and meet my friend for a coffee....fast forward 30mins and I unlock the car and get back inside. To my surprise the warning chime is still there. There are no warning lights on the dashboard and no warning errors.
I open and close all doors and the boot...still the noise.
Turn car ignition off....still the noise.
Get out of the car, lock it, open it and get back in....still the noise.
I drive for 10mins hoping it will go away....still the noise.
I phone Volvo assist who want to send someone to me but I'm 1hr 30 from home and need to get back.
On the way home I call into a Volvo dealership who take a quick look but dont know why it is making the noise. We did a factory reset but that didnt fix the issue. The car drives perfectly but the noise is there, constantly chiming away.

I get home call Volvo assist who eventually, after waiting on hold for 40mins tell me that as it is not an emergency (thankfully or I'd be unhappy waiting for so long!) they cant send someone out and I need to call the local garage in the morning.

I've been home now for a few hours. Car sat on the drive locked and I can still hear the warning noise chiming away when stood outside.

I did consider disconnecting the battery but the boss is not keen on me messing with the car.
I've also tried to force a warning error and noise, I.e. getting out of car with ignition on or lights on. This brings up a dashboard error but doesn't make the noise stop.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen and how I can stop it?
have you tried plugging in all the seatbelts? maybe the car thinks for some reason that it’s that - the seatbelt chime is a two tone ching ching ?
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

A constant chime sounds if the bonnet is not fully closed.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
AlGiff

Post by AlGiff »

Thanks for the replies, yep it was the two tone ching ching sound.

I tried all the seatbelts with and without someone sitting in the seat....still the sound.
I tried the bonnet as well. It was closed so opened and closed it....still the sound.

I checked the car before going to bed last night and the it was still making the noise. Checked this morning and it has thankfully gone. I've started the car to check the battery had not drained over night but all is working fine and no warning noise or messages on the dashboard. Fingers crossed this was some random glitch that won't come back.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

billybobb2019 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:08 pm I parked up waiting for a friend, turned the car off but switched the ignition back on the listen to the radio. After some time the car powered down (assume this is happens to save battery power). I didn't turn the ignition back on again as my friend arrived.
I think this is how it started, although I don't know why it carried on for so long: Ignition was off, you turned it back on to listen to the radio, then the infotainment system shut down to save battery - however this doesn't change the ignition status. You opened the drivers door when the ignition was on, hence the chimes began.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
AlGiff

Post by AlGiff »

[/quote]

I think this is how it started, although I don't know why it carried on for so long: Ignition was off, you turned it back on to listen to the radio, then the infotainment system shut down to save battery - however this doesn't change the ignition status. You opened the drivers door when the ignition was on, hence the chimes began.
[/quote]

Yes, think that is correct Jamie. I'm certainly not going to try and replicate the conditions to make it occur again. I'd be happy to never the chime again after constantly hearing it for 1hr 30mins :lol:
ScottNatte

Post by ScottNatte »

Regarding my 2022 P8, upon entering the garage at home, the warning tone does activate due to narrow opening of the doorway. However, the warning remained on without muting as of yesterday - this is not normal. In fact, the same warning tone actives each time the driver's door is opened even though the car is stationary, driver is not seated, and car is still in "park". It is really an annoying tone that will persist through the entire drive until the driver has left the car, shuts the door, and about 2 mins have passed.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21