Squeaky spring noise rear right (driver side)

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

Seems our XC40 Early 2020 D4 Inscription Pro Polestar has had it's fair share of noise issues/faults.

The latest one is a spring noise (sounds like an old mattress) when going over speed bumps, and also some turns. Speed bumps however are the 100% sure fire way of reproducing the noise.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm starting to feel QC is not as good as it should be for a car just over a year and a half old with only 6500 miles on the clock.

(Other noise issues have come from button/knob panel in central console area at low speed, and also the steering column at higher speeds on rough roads - both solved with additional padding or noise tape).

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

After one month using my new car the driver seat started to have a creaking, squeaky noise when going over road bumps. I identified the problem at the screws holding the seat rail into the car floor and spraying WD40 on the screws solved the issue for good.
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

This is not a creaking. It’s more like bed spring noises from an old mattress. It’s also coming from back and not front. Suspect something around back seats or boot, possibly rear driver side wheel arch area.

It’s going into the dealer on Tuesday after the long weekend so will be interesting to see what’s gone wrong. I would not be surprised if it was also something loose and poorly screwed in rather than anything more nefarious. Having said that, let’s see!
Barst1

Post by Barst1 »

Creaking, squeaky noise from the divers seat constantly. Anyone experienced this and how was fault rectified...
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Barst1 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:07 pm Creaking, squeaky noise from the divers seat constantly. Anyone experienced this and how was fault rectified...
Yes, see my post in this thread
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I've had my B4 R Design MY22 for a year now and considering the money and alleged quality the XC40 is full of squeaks and rattles. I've had to fix some of these myself and others I've resigned myself to just putting up with. Prior to this I had a Peugeot which was much better built although the volvo is a better drive.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I have to say after 1 year and 10k miles mine is still silent. Build quality has proven excellent. So far... .
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Barst1

Post by Barst1 »

Traveloguy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:12 pm This is not a creaking. It’s more like bed spring noises from an old mattress. It’s also coming from back and not front. Suspect something around back seats or boot, possibly rear driver side wheel arch area.

It’s going into the dealer on Tuesday after the long weekend so will be interesting to see what’s gone wrong. I would not be surprised if it was also something loose and poorly screwed in rather than anything more nefarious. Having said that, let’s see!
May I ask did you you resolve the spring noises "old mattress" - thanks