Dashboard noise hunting... what’s this?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
hillocklane

Post by hillocklane »

So I have a 2020 XC40 Recharge, 3000 miles in its developed an odd buzz / creak that seems to be from behind the binnacle / air vents. Difficult to place accurately as only present at motorway speeds, but seems not panel related and something deeper. I’d describe it like a ball of tinfoil being rolled around in a container

I’ve been checking windscreen trim and on the bulkhead for anything amiss, but nothing stood out. Whilst looking at the liners in the wing / wheel arch on the right I noticed this black plastic pouch - filled with something soft - just kind of floating inside the wing.

Anybody know what the bag is?

Any thoughts or experience with the rattle / creak?

Many thanks!

977DBB35-B988-45BE-ADA0-EC956AB8B7EB.jpeg

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've seen similar on other cars, i think it's used to damp resonance in panels.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Steker

Post by Steker »

Hi, I have something that sounds very similar on my car and after a lot of hunting for it’s origin I realised it was only there when I was listening to a DAB station on the radio in a weak signal spot, try turning off the radio next time you hear it.
MY19 Inscription D3 AWD. Pine grey, Winter pack, Comfort pack.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

hillocklane wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:29 pm So I have a 2020 XC40 Recharge, 3000 miles in its developed an odd buzz / creak that seems to be from behind the binnacle / air vents. Difficult to place accurately as only present at motorway speeds, but seems not panel related and something deeper. I’d describe it like a ball of tinfoil being rolled around in a container

I’ve been checking windscreen trim and on the bulkhead for anything amiss, but nothing stood out. Whilst looking at the liners in the wing / wheel arch on the right I noticed this black plastic pouch - filled with something soft - just kind of floating inside the wing.

Anybody know what the bag is?

Any thoughts or experience with the rattle / creak?

Many thanks!

977DBB35-B988-45BE-ADA0-EC956AB8B7EB.jpeg

You’ve seen the French Connection right? Same thing. Drugs hidden all over the joint….
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

I think I know exactly the noise you are talking about. Our Early 2020 XC40 D4 Polestar Inscription car also developed it. Ironically the loan cars Volvo gave us also had it. Issue took two visits to identify and solve. with our local dealer. The source of the noise is the plastic trim under the infotainment screen where all the buttons and the knob is housed. It's a 'known' design issue, and the cracking noise comes on mainly at low speeds. Our dealer simply put in some extra foam and it solved the issue instantly.

If it is not the above, we had another noise which we could hear between the steering column and the air vent. The dealer put some noise tape around the interior of the steering column and again this has also managed to resolve this issue. This noise came in at higher speeds on roads which were a little more 'rough'.

We now have a third noise, but it is coming from the back and probably not a discussion for this thread so will post separately about that. :)
hillocklane

Post by hillocklane »

@Dermottdog - ...did cross my mind to be honest :D

@Traveloguy @Steker @Felindre - Thank you all very much, gives me a few places to start this weekend! Great help and much appreciated.
tacticallamma

Post by tacticallamma »

I have started noticing the same noise recently and was wondering if you found the source?
skimm

Post by skimm »

Looks like people reading those posts start noticing noises ... oh the power of suggestions;)

Joking aside I also have a creaking noise coming from the central panel underneath the infotainment screen. @Traveloguy , I suspect that is it!
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
ja.7

Post by ja.7 »

Traveloguy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 pm The source of the noise is the plastic trim under the infotainment screen where all the buttons and the knob is housed. It's a 'known' design issue, and the cracking noise comes on mainly at low speeds. Our dealer simply put in some extra foam and it solved the issue instantly.

If it is not the above, we had another noise which we could hear between the steering column and the air vent. The dealer put some noise tape around the interior of the steering column and again this has also managed to resolve this issue. This noise came in at higher speeds on roads which were a little more 'rough'.
HI Everyone,
could You tell me how to disassemble the infotainment screen and access this plastic trim?
Can you mark in the picture which is exactly the place?
Rather, my noise comes from the backend screen, it is similar to a vibration. Occurs at low speeds.
Possibly noise is coming from the left side of the steering column
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

I got the dealer to sort the issue out.