T3 Missfire/Turbo issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

Hi,

I have been plagued with a non critical issue since day one (sept '20, MY21 for me), where the Turbo or the engine missfired under heavy load in a higher gear 4th/5th when accelerating to join a motorway most often. Felt like the turbo dropped out momentarily after starting. Quite scary a couple of times.

Just took the car in to be looked at after the relaxing of lock down rules and explained the fault to be told "its been going on a while, like a year or so, its a known issue, a fix in the software has just been released". Quite annoying as two other Volvo dealers denied there was an issue!!!

Anyway, if you have this issue, its worth getting it booked in (I was initially told £180, BTW, but said this was ridiculous and they relented and did it under warranty) to get the update.

stu22

Post by stu22 »

My wife's car exhibits this, always assumed was the collision avoidance gubbins being too sensitive.
Car is due a service in July so hopefully an update may cure it.....
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

I'll report back once I take it on a motorway.
crtony1

Post by crtony1 »

Thanks for the information. Same issue for me same model year.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi all

I have a T3 manual, is the problem confined to Auto, I have not experienced any of the problems as described. I think my car is a late 21my spec I ordered it on December 8th and I believe it was built in the new year 2021 and I collected it on March 1st. However I will be watching out for any issues.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

Mine is a MY21 Manual T3 RD Pro. So definitely think its all transmissions.
The guy in the dealer did say that their staff member had the same issue and it was rectified by the software, this it alters the timing or something.
Mine only did it when accelerating at speed in a higher gear 4 or 5 (particularly if up hill). I used to have an old diesel turbo, where the intake pipe had a split. The turbo spooled up fine and started accelerating, you set off and the sensors picked up the drop in pressure and cut the turbo. This felt exactly the same, but was obviously just the software losing it a bit under load and not being able to decide if the turbo should be on or off etc. Thats what it felt like anyway.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Ok Marminuk, thanks for the info I will watch out for it under those conditions.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my