T5 Kickdown and engine cut in

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
step2534

Post by step2534 »

This might have been covered before but I cant find it'
I ordered a T5 Inscription Pro about 3 weeks ago. Now what I cant get my head round is, Im doing 60mph using electric and joining the motorway so I accelerate and the engine cuts in and takes me up to 80 ish.

My question is Whats the engine doing up to the kickdown?? does it have a electric pump that circulates oil round it or does it just sit there switched off
Im just thinking that when it cuts in at 60 ish it must start at maybe 3000 RPM surely that's not good for a mechanical engine.
Ive asked about and mostly I get is a shrug of shoulders, it cant be rocket science but it must be pretty clever

I know someone will know and I will say thanks in anticipation, also if I know ,someone might ask me and I will look smart.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

You are right that the engine is just sitting there turned off and yes, when it kicks in it is immediately put under load.

This is not new technology and a modern engine is built and tunes for this sort of workload.

There are now tens of thousands of this type of car out there with millions of miles travelled so have faith in the engineers and designers. As long as you don't cheap out at service time, your engine will be just fine.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
step2534

Post by step2534 »

M@rk thanks for reply, I understand what your saying. Im 69 and have only had one vehicle that wasn't a Land Rover, I got my first one at 17 Ive had series 1s series 2s 300TDIs the last one I owned for 24yrs.
So you might understand that hybrid technology fascinates me and the design of that engine is fantastic.
Ive had a Audi Q3 but I was a bit disappointed when it needed new discs at 13,000 miles I only changed the discs once on my defender in 24 yrs.
I drove Volvos at work and was always impressed with build quality and comfort, so I thought give XC 40 hybrid a try. I will probably laugh every time the engine cuts in.
Bit of good news ,dealership been in touch it should be here between 15th 29th June, fingers crossed