Drive Mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

Does anyone know if there is a way to set Drive Mode to automatically be Eco as opposed to having to select it time I get into the car?

thanks!!
Last edited by joeldram on Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Not in Europe. The car starts in the default mode - comfort. This is the mode on which the real world fuel consumption figures are based.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 3491

Post by Deleted User 3491 »

joeldram wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:36 pm Does anyone know if there is a way to set Drive Mode to automatically be Eco as opposed to having to select it time I get into the car?

thanks!!
There isn't a way.

However it's real easy to change to Eco, or Dynamic for that matter - and back again.

No need to use the cumbersome central screen just use the physical drive button.

The button not only selects but scrolls through the options - it just depends how many times you press the button.

Three quick presses of the button, without taking your eyes off the road, changes from Comfort to Eco. Two presses moves and initiates Dynamic.

Try it! Three presses, don't wait between each press.

First press calls up the driving mode screen with comfort selected.
Second press moves down to Dynamic.
Third press moves down to Eco. Done, you're now in Eco.
Hughie

Post by Hughie »

I have just had the Polestar Engineered Optimisation software fitted to my 2018 D4 AWD 190bhp First Edition vehicle.

I am very pleased with the result. It provides a smoother drive with much less uncertainty over which gear to be in. Generally the car pulls more strongly and the additional 10% increase in torque and a lowering of the max torque rpm from 2500 to 2250 is beneficial in terms of a relaxed driving experience.

I certainly don’t think it is worth the price that we are charged for it but nonetheless for an effective upgrade that doesn’t affect warranty, fuel consumption or insurance it seems the logical way to go.

However, I think Volvo has got the marketing wrong. To call it an Optimisation package implies that the standard is sub-optimal and should have been like the Polestar version from the outset. If it had been called a Performance Enhancement upgrade rather than an outright Performance upgrade them maybe more people would be attracted to it.

My final comment on the subject is however my biggest complaint. That is regarding the inability to amend the Drive Mode default for which there have been quite a few threads on this forum. I absolutely understand (environmental, emission, market perception, safety etc. etc.) why Volvo wants its ex-factory vehicles to have Comfort as the default mode. However, for the small number of owners who want to upgrade their car with Volvo’s approval then the package should enable the Default Driving Mode to be set to Polestar Engineered as that is what they pay for and that is how they want the car to drive.

To draw a comparison. I also have a BMW i3 for local driving and I have just recoded the default Driving Mode using the BimmerCode app so that the car is in the Driving Mode from switch on that I always prefer to drive in!

So a plea to Volvo UK and to any Volvo technicians who may read this. Please check to see if your engine management computer software diagnostic equipment allows this default setting to be changed and if so give us owners (particularly Polestar ‘investors’) the right to choose. Our actions will not affect global climate change or contravene Volvo’s ethics but will give us what we want and paid for!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I guess because of the cost of re testing the car for emissions for the handful of people who choose the polestar upgrade. These things are business reasons.

Is it that hard to press the button? I do it everytime I get in the car as I use an individual setting.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019