Noisy fan.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eyore

Post by eyore »

My 3 month old T5 roars like a jet engine while charging which the garage claims is necessary to cool the battery during charging and can't be changed. As it didn't appear to do it for the first 2 months I have some scepticism regarding this claim.
Would welcome any opinions on this, as my garage is under the house and the noise is intensely annoying.

asb

Post by asb »

From similar cases that I have seen in other forums ...
You should not put the car to charge right after a trip on battery power, you should let it cool down.
I don't know if it helps, but ..
eyore

Post by eyore »

Thanks for the comment. I did think about using the On Call app to schedule the charging for a later time, but I can't seem to get the scheduling to work.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I have noticed this however it doesn't run all the time. After a run, when the car is warm, it is quite loud but only for a few minutes before it then cuts off again.
I know the reason why this is needed (to prolong battery life) and agree it's very loud but it doesn't run all night
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

I only get the ‘jet engine’ on after a run where the engine has got warm.

I haven’t seen or read anywhere that you shouldn’t charge it in such circumstances, surely that’s why it kicks in, so you can.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.