Touchscreen tricks

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

IS there a knack to using the touch screen, whilst driving when trying to click on podcasts or tracks in Spotify, i'm touch the track but nothing happens, more often than not the screen slides up or down. I know there is a feint audio sound when the tile is selected. Thought it would be a bit more sensitive to be a touchscreen whilst driving?

Or is just me and sausage fingers?`

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I hate touchscreens in cars. The tiny motions of the car swaying about can mean it often interprets a touch as a drag or slide instead of a press. I steady my hand with several fingers holding the plastic around the screen and then quickly jab the screen with my index finger. By bracing against the trim it removes all the movement in my arm from the equation.

I always use voice commands or steering wheel buttons where possible.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

OK, pretty much what I'm doing now. Voice commands in the BMW are hit and miss and often result in me firing off a salvo of expletives at the BMW assistant.
Juan Szponatime

Post by Juan Szponatime »

Favourite tip - don't use it.

Favourite voice commands -
Cancel
Not in List
Cancel
Not in List
Mute Navigation
Mute Navigation
Not in List

Tend to use the physical controls - volume knob, drive mode button, steering wheel controls.

Cancel, Not in List !!!
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Try using your finger nail rather than your finger.
I really struggled using Android Auto until I did this and It changed the experience from impossible to awful :D
Juan Szponatime

Post by Juan Szponatime »

If you have Spotify on your Android phone you can use the Google Assistant on your phone to ask for a particular Spotify track to be played via the car's Spotify App.

This works by your voice going to the phone and using your phone's Google Assistant not the car's voice activation. There's a short delay while your request is received by the phone, acted upon by the phone then conveyed via mobile data to Spotify then back to the car.

This isn't anything to do with Android Auto as I don't have that. And it isn't the Spotify app on the phone playing via Bluetooth, the music comes from the car's Spotify app but controlled by the phone.