Am i being had??

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

hi everyone just seeking a bit of advice

I previously posted that I’ve been having issues with the stop start and remote start and some issues with the car a year 20 inscription pro T4 which is just coming up to its first year I’ve been reviewing the posts from other people and I’m aware that there is a software issue potentially but my car will be going back next week for the fourth time, they have replaced the main battery the auxiliary battery and done a software update and still the car is stop start is not working sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t it’s unrelated to the time I’ve been driving et cetera, and sometimes the car stops at a junction for example and won’t start at all -what the chief technician intimated was that because I use the heated seats-heated steering wheel A lot (Reynauds and back issues) what he described as the gimmicks of the car is over draining the batteries and causing software problems – what I’m asking is is he right? Has anyone else had the same experience? I don’t think a £40,000 car that we bought Because of these features should have them described as gimmicks that you can only use occasionally or am I being unreasonable? Thanks in advance

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I would say there are many many factors that influence as and when stop/start will cut in..or not. Electrical load, outside temperature, state of charge .

Stop start will not work every time..the same goes for any car. My XC40 doesn't ...it does it more though when the battery is nicely charged and in the warmer months.

I don't believe the tale that the loading is causing software errors..I would say the loading is triggering a status which says stop/start isn't available.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

thanks blastpipe i’ve just been on a run ( 60miles+ ) for work today - it’s not working at all now and i’m getting random error messages now headlights not working consult service etc - indicators not making the clicking sound, car says on app it’s unlocked but it is locked, i know it’s just glitches and i do like the car but it is annoying
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I drove back from Leicestershire 5 weeks ago and for a little while after stop/start worked fine.
It’s not worked now for a few weeks which I put down to not using vehicle much and short runs due to lock down.
I had it serviced today and mentioned stop/start not working. Straight away I was asked about typical journeys and I was told the car wasn’t being used enough for long enough journeys.
They still checked the batteries and said they were fine. Nothing mentioned about a software update.
I’m ok with this as I expect when I go on longer journeys it’ll start working again.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

billybobb2019 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 pm thanks blastpipe i’ve just been on a run ( 60miles+ ) for work today - it’s not working at all now and i’m getting random error messages now headlights not working consult service etc - indicators not making the clicking sound, car says on app it’s unlocked but it is locked, i know it’s just glitches and i do like the car but it is annoying
Seems our posts crossed.
That’s clearly not right. I’d take car straight back, maybe try a different dealer if you are not happy with the service and answers you are getting
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

I would recommend you complain to Volvo Cars UK and let them know of your issue. The second thing i would do is contact citizens advice and seek help in rejecting the car - that will focus Volvo in either fixing it or replacing it.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Thanks everyone for the posts/replies - i’m
going to contact volvo CS to see if they can help - PV Dobsons in levens are a good dealership and are generally v helpful but i got the feeling when i last spoke to them last and booked it in again that i was a ‘problem’ - i got the usual ‘ i’ve never known a xc40 do that’ and with the indicators ‘ maybe you had the music on’ - and i didn’t like the heating feature being described as a gimmick/gadget - that’s where i feel a bit missold

thanks again
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Re the indicator issue, it’s happening to mine and I’ve also read about it before (either on here or FB groups) so Volvo definitely know about it.
Mine is going back in tomorrow for the MY21 recall and I’ve also brought this up.
We’ll see. 🤔
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

update: for days now the stop start wasn’t working but on a short run to the shops low and behold it began to work again but the strangest thing - i received a text asked the car to read it and i’m honestly not joking it read it back in a dutch accent ! wife was with me otherwise i’d have thought i was tripping!
Moss

Post by Moss »

billybobb2019 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:01 pm update: for days now the stop start wasn’t working but on a short run to the shops low and behold it began to work again but the strangest thing - i received a text asked the car to read it and i’m honestly not joking it read it back in a dutch accent ! wife was with me otherwise i’d have thought i was tripping!
What was the text you received ?
What do you mean by « a dutch accent » ?
What is the system language of your car ? (press Settings in the top view of the centre display, go to System and then to System Languages and Units, and select System Language)