Scratches on Door Trims / Around Sat Nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi

Had my R Design for six months now and the very shiny bits are starting to pick up the odd scratch here and there - just wondered ... Can scratches be buffed / cleaned out of the high shine door B pillar trims and the same for inevitable scratches around the black shiny Sat Nav and center consul panels can these be polished out...? Does anyone have any tips..?

Thanks

ML

Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I've not had to do this to my XC40 yet, but had to remove scratches from a bit of piano black trim in a Honda. I've no way of knowing if this'll work well in the Volvo, but it should. Usual disclaimers apply, and please try this in a hidden area first (obviously not possible on the Sensus surround).

Get yourself a tub of a really fine grade scratch remover. The Meguiars Scratch X stuff works really well, and the softest microfiber cloth you've got, then apply a small amount (less than a pea) to the cloth and rub it very gently in small circles around and over the scratch. When I say gentle, I mean barely any pressure at all. Plastics don't have the benefit of a clear coat unlike your paint and it'll be easy to go too far. Better take longer to get a good finish, than to rush it and get scrappy looking plastics.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks for the tip - I will give that a try