Remote Start not Starting

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

That’s my dealer as well, they are brilliant. Re battery I would suggest that you purchase a smart charger, Volvo recommend that if you don’t use your car much you should put it on charge every 2 weeks. I have a CTEk and as we have 2 cars and due to not travelling much in lockdown I swap the cars over every 2 weeks and put mine on the charger.used to have loads of problems with stop start but now have non at all. You can leave these chargers on all the time as they are intelligent. Just make sure if you buy one that it can be used with AGM batteries, most good smart charges can.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Whiterdesign wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 pm That’s my dealer as well, they are brilliant. Re battery I would suggest that you purchase a smart charger, Volvo recommend that if you don’t use your car much you should put it on charge every 2 weeks. I have a CTEk and as we have 2 cars and due to not travelling much in lockdown I swap the cars over every 2 weeks and put mine on the charger.used to have loads of problems with stop start but now have non at all. You can leave these chargers on all the time as they are intelligent. Just make sure if you buy one that it can be used with AGM batteries, most good smart charges can.
Should we really have to be buying chargers for our £40k plus motors?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

I find this thread very confusing. The original post and the post title is about the remote start not working i.e. the app starting the car.

But the "solution" and subsequent posts are about the stop/start system. Which is it Remote Start or Stop/Start?

I use my, bought new for £31k, T4 AWD RDesign very infrequently. I have done just a couple of thousand miles this last year, tend to use it every 2 or 3 weeks for a supermarket (essential) run. Haven't had any problems with Stop/Start or Remote Start beyond what you'd expect of the technology.

Certainly I don't feel the need to buy a charger, haven't charged a battery since a car I had in the early '80s 🙂.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

thanks for the replies - it was originally about the remote start but became several issues over a day or so all centring on,as another poster correctly suggested around potential low battery issue - all i can say is that after the battery has been charged up during the service they are now all resolved - cheers for the latest advice whiterdesign i’m going to invest in a charger - i do drain the battery quite a bit -heated seats and steering wheel on max and on short journeys additionally playing eminem, public enemy and the speeches of mrs thatcher at the volumes i do must be impacting it 😳 #onlyjokingorami?

i was assured that the battery is otherwise sound, and I trust Dobsons - i even got a call from the service dept checking all was ok the day after (never had that from any dealer) - then transferred to the sales team as it’s been a year since we’ve had it to check i’m happy with the xc40
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Well......i spoke too soon thought i’d warm the car up before taking the pup for his local constitutional and ‘your volvo could not be started because the engine is not working properly’

‘Hello is that Dobsons ....can i speak to Bryan’ LOL
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

just to update - car got progressively more ‘weird’ display went off for a second or so - infotainment glitchy locks up , indicators not making the repeating click when operating- all resolved briefly when i did a work long drive but back again next day - supplementary battery to be replaced but there is a 2 week lead time, dobsons say car is safe to drive but i’m hesitant, maybe unnecessarily in case this battery issues starts affecting the safety features