Heated from Screen not working with 6" Snow

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

Anyone else experienced this, my Windscreen has 6" of snow on it, tried to clear it using heated front screen and after 15 minutes nothing had happened. Tried for a further 10 minutes and still no joy. Went back to the old fashioned method of using a screen scraper.
The screen works really well in frosty conditions but it appears it can not deal with snow. Very embarrassing with all the neighbours watching. :oops:

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
To be honest, and at the risk of offending some people I think you expect too much of the car in this instance, it’s a de ice facility. Brush snow off with a soft brush or broom and give the car a chance.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

buddie000 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:58 am Anyone else experienced this, my Windscreen has 6" of snow on it, tried to clear it using heated front screen and after 15 minutes nothing had happened. Tried for a further 10 minutes and still no joy. Went back to the old fashioned method of using a screen scraper.
The screen works really well in frosty conditions but it appears it can not deal with snow. Very embarrassing with all the neighbours watching. :oops:
Frosty conditions yes.....6” of snow no!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I'd not expect the car to clear 6" of snow. You need to remove the snow from the car body anyway..off the bonnet...the roof and side windows...for which I use a brush...I do the same for the windscreen and then use the heated front screen to remove any ice etc.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Anyone else see this...

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Iggy6543

Post by Iggy6543 »

Have you tried the breakfast option. Page 2 of the on-screen setting for heated screen activates the option. You can then position 2 slices of bacon, and a whole egg if you wish at the top of the screen. By the time the items have slide to the bottom a delicious breakfast is ready. Shame it doesn't do toast.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Iggy6543 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:24 pm Have you tried the breakfast option. Page 2 of the on-screen setting for heated screen activates the option. You can then position 2 slices of bacon, and a whole egg if you wish at the top of the screen. By the time the items have slide to the bottom a delicious breakfast is ready. Shame it doesn't do toast.

Excellent idea 👏😋
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

In Canada my brothers Ford Explorer cleared his snow (Ok only 4") as the layer nearest the screen gets heated the rest just slides off. But then I suppose Canada get a lot more Snow than us.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

My XC40 does similar on occassions..it may well depend on whether the bottom of the snow has turned to ice or not. However it just ends up at the bottom of the screen so you still need to move it by hand or brush. Mine does it after 5 - 10 mins of remote start.

Your original post has been read by me as you expecting 6" of snow to clear through melting rather than sliding off..which it won't.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

My Bad I was not expecting it to melt the snow only assisting in making it slide off the screen once the bottom layer heated. Thanks to the @iggy6543 who suggested cooking a breaki on it. :)