Keyless locking system playing up

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

Since about November I have noticed that my keyless locking system is playing up.
Sometimes I have to stand by my car for a few minutes with my hand on the handle and try several times before it will open the car. Today I went for a drive and went I went back to my car I couldn’t get it to open at all and had to remote start it to get it to open.
I’ve noticed that the tail close and lock button doesn’t respond either.
And occasionally, after I’ve got out of the car I’ve had to wait a bit before I can lock it. During this wait, I’ve noticed that the dash remains illuminated. All very weird.
It doesn’t seem to make a difference which key I have with me
I’ve tried it without having my mobile phone on me just in case there’s a signal issue
I’ve tried it with all three keys .
I did wonder if it was a battery problem as none of us are able to drive much at the moment. I have driven one junction up the motorway 15 miles and back each week to keep it going though. Is this enough (diesel car) ?
I’ve also had the remote start temporarily unavailable message occasionally.
I’ve also had the front window heater temporarily unavailable message occasionally.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
V40, XC90, XC60, and now First Edition 2nd owner since November 2018 XC40 Red.

morganj

Post by morganj »

Probably a dumb question but have you tried changing the key fob batteries? If the car is 2018 the batteries are fir sure sure due a change.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

I know nothing about keyless entry, I haven't got it, but the manual says ensure you don't press/touch the lock and unlock parts of the handle at the same time.
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

I haven’t changed the key fob batteries, so it might be a good idea to do this to rule it out - is it something I can do myself without losing the settings? However I’m not sure all the issues I have could be explained by that though...
Yes, I appreciate I should use only on of either key fob or handle - I’ve had the car for a few years...
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

Ok, just trying to help. I actually meant the inner surface of the handle Vs the outer. Unlock Vs lock.

The manual says:

NOTE

It is important that only one touch-sensitive surface is activated at a time. Gripping the handle while touching the lock surface risks giving double commands. This means that the requested activity (locking/unlocking) will not be executed, or will be executed with a delay.

But if you've had the car for years I guess you know that already.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Mine started to play up at about 18 months - changed the fob batteries and it now seems fine.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate people taking the time to respond.
I’ve changed the batteries (what a fiddle) and it does seem better, but not sure if that coincides with a longer run I did yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Doesn’t answer my two issues re the front de-mister “temporarily unavailable” though or the Volvo on call remote start being temporarily unavailable. These two coinciding with all three remotes playing up and lack of car use, led me to think it was battery related but maybe it’s not and the issues are unrelated.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

For the remote start.. Had your car gone in to standby mode? .. Which it does after a few days of no use. 5 I think. If it had you cannot do remote start as the car is asleep and in battery saving mode. You might also get this if the mobile reception for the car sim isn't good enough.

It does sound likely to me that given the little use the car has had a low battery could be a trigger for the demister of that pulls a heavy current. Just starting the car will take a great deal of stored energy from the battery. A short run as you described is unlikely i'd suggest, given the other loads on the car, to replace that used energy or indeed top it up further.

The use of a battery charger would soon tell you.
Last edited by blastpipe on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Burmey wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:28 pm
Doesn’t answer my two issues re the front de-mister “temporarily unavailable” though or the Volvo on call remote start being temporarily unavailable. These two coinciding with all three remotes playing up and lack of car use, led me to think it was battery related but maybe it’s not and the issues are unrelated.
My car has for the first time since I purchased it (2018) given me the de mister message twice - It's been used a lot less and I think that is probably the issue, I have waited a minute after starting and then not had the message when hitting the button.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

Thanks everyone. Most helpful. Hadn’t realised about stand by mode.

Anyone know how long a drive it would take to sufficiently charge the battery (or indeed clear out the DPF since I have a diesel)? Many times I’ve wished this car had an engine temperature gauge as there no way of telling (at least I’m not aware of any way ) otherwise.