Can't edit Driver Profile 2

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ispeirs

Post by ispeirs »

Hi. My new XC40 Inscription Pro arrived last week. I've been trying to set the Driver Profiles, one for each of my wife and I, with some difficulty.

If I select Profile 1 at start up, it is possible to edit it.

When I select Profile 2 at start up, it's not then possible to edit the profile. It's greyed out whether I go through 'Settings - System' or 'Profiles'. It's also not possible to switch to another profile.

I've tried various things using both keys (separately) but without success.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Have you got 2 proper keys, or is one the orange care key? I understood that for my21 they dropped 2 full plus 1 care in favour of 1 full and 1 care, and that it's not possible to program the memory to the care key.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ispeirs

Post by ispeirs »

Thanks for the reply.

I have 1 black and 1 orange care key. I’ve set Profile 1 using the black key, however, I would still expect to be able to switch between profiles with that key. I can select profile 2, I just can’t edit it. Seems pointless having the option of 2 profiles but only being able to set one.

Do I need a separate black key?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Yes you need to get another black key. Volvo dealers were doing a discounted price..worth having a moan but the introduction of the orange care key appears to be going across the board of the volvo range. It's well covered on the forum.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
ispeirs

Post by ispeirs »

Okay. I've been onto my Volvo dealer who don't seem to get it. I haven't associated either key with a profile, despite it being an option, so I'm struggling to understand why I need 2 keys to have 2 profiles. I can sometimes select profile 2 at the start, but I can't edit it or switch to profile 1.

Volvo could do with updating their instruction manual.
Split Infinitive

Post by Split Infinitive »

When in profile 2 do you actually change anything in the various screens? Have you changed the media input, or the dashboard theme for example.

I'm thinking that if P1 and P2 are identical it doesn't allow edit. If you make a change in P2 then perhaps edit will become available.

Only guessing really. I've tried it in my car and can edit both. But they each profile has different settings.

It's only academic to me as I only use the P1.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I think that profile 2 is reserved solely for the orange care key. I’m sure that I read it in the manual but for the life of me I can’t find it now.
Also, on the point of keys, I believe that Volvo have now relented and are delivering cars with two black keys. So those, in any, who paid full price for a second key have been truly ripped off.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Faulty User

Post by Faulty User »

I have no problems using a profile 2 or editing it. I haven't assigned either P1 or P2 to a key. Assigning profiles to a key is another issue, it has no bearing on using a profile 2.

I suspect that you need to change something in P2 before it lets you edit it.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Found in the manual, page 126 about setting protect user profile. You've not done this without realising have you?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ujohnny

Post by ujohnny »

That's a MY21 feature and the only option so far just to purchase a black key. Also there're similar threads on swedespeed as well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2066

Volvo basically ignores any comments on the topic and even stopped responding to my emails once I pointed to the MY21 Late user manual which states that 3 keys (2 black and 1 orange) are provided with a car. Later they've cleaned up their manual and I have only a screenshot for the memories.

And to the OP: you have to lock/unlock the car with the black key to escape "Profile 2". no any other way. Also keep in mind this from the UM:
A Care Key left in the car will be deactivated even when the car is locked using Volvo On Call, and reactivated when the car is unlocked using Volvo On Call or with another valid key.