door chime

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

hello everyone
had the car from new about a month now and still finding my round everything,due to weather and virus etc not been in it that much 200 miles to date.
one of the things that irritate me is the inconsisstence of the door chime.
dont mind the chime but tried everywhere to find out how and when it should work(just trying to find out if it is working correctly)
no doubt one of you nice people are hopefully going to explain.
thanks in advance
melvin

Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

Mine chimes when I try and leave the car with the ignition switched on. For example when I've been in the car fiddling with the radio or something and switched the ignition back on.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Yes, the only time the door chimes is if you've done something 'wrong', like not placed the car in Park when the ignition is still on.

Assuming that you're not in the US where chimes seem to be norm for everything.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

thanks for the replies
one of the reasons i asked was that when i collected the car due to virus problems i had to find things out for myself (no disrepect to dealer who were really trying to help) so when i opened the door for the first time the chime was heard then after that it as been intermittent.so for 72 dudes answer mine does not go off for that reason persumably because i have set the parking break to apply when engine switched off.
on another note i would of expected the chime to activate everytime a door was opened or left open.
still a lot to learn probably in 12months time i may be a expert
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Do you maybe have the lightswitch turned to sidelights or dipped as opposed to Off or Auto?
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

never use auto,always switched to off
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

melvinharford wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:19 pm never use auto,always switched to off
When switched to OFF only the front daylight running lights (DRL) will be on, but the rear lights will be off. And of course the interior dash lights will be on.

If you want DRLs and rear lights to be on you need to turn the dial to the traditional side light symbol.

Obviously if you want the DRLs front AND rear, and the advantage of dipped beam when light gets dim then AUTO is the setting to use.

I only say this as many drivers assume that front DRLs, together with the interior dash lights means that the rears are on, giving following traffic the required visibility. Trouble is the rears are off, unless you use sidelights or auto
Shed Load

Post by Shed Load »

melvinharford wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:05 pm thanks for the replies
one of the reasons i asked was that when i collected the car due to virus problems i had to find things out for myself (no disrepect to dealer who were really trying to help) so when i opened the door for the first time the chime was heard then after that it as been intermittent.so for 72 dudes answer mine does not go off for that reason persumably because i have set the parking break to apply when engine switched off.
on another note i would of expected the chime to activate everytime a door was opened or left open.
still a lot to learn probably in 12months time i may be a expert
The PARKing brake and the gear PARK are two separate things. The parking brake is an actual activation of the brakes to the wheel, while PARK is a physical/mechanical stoppage within the gearbox.