Remote Start

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 3277

Post by Deleted User 3277 »

I recently bought a small Bluetooth temperature sensor (don't ask - I'm a nerd and like all things temperature) to monitor my house's central heating.

As an experiment I placed it in my XC40 a few days ago and I can monitor the temperature from an app on my phone. There, I told you I was a nerd!

Over the last week my car has been sat on the drive and has been about 8C during the day, sometimes falling to 2C at night.

This morning using the car's remote start facility I switched on the car for the max 15 mins.

The car was a steady 3C overnight but after being switched on for 15 mins rose to a balmy 6C. Mmmm toasty šŸ™‚.

I don't have heated steering or seat, so it was just the normal car heating which I have set to 23C.

Not exactly scientific I know but thought it interesting!

Screenshot from app this morning, the steep rise is from 3C to 6C during the 15min switch on and shortly afterwards.

Screenshot_20210121-112707.png

Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Thatā€™s very interesting. Iā€™ve often thought the remote start doesnā€™t really warm the car. Just defrosts.
Would be interesting to hear others experience.
Deleted User 3277

Post by Deleted User 3277 »

Mark123 wrote: ā†‘Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:36 pm Thatā€™s very interesting. Iā€™ve often thought the remote start doesnā€™t really warm the car. Just defrosts.
Would be interesting to hear others experience.
Certainly warms it (from 3c to 6c) but not enough to matter on a cold morning. Engine nice and warm though!
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Interesting and useful experiment. Due to the fact that the engine will run for 15 minutes only at around 800 rpm, thereā€™s not enough heat generated to warm up the cabin. In winter, remote start makes a significant difference when setting automatic start for heated seats, steering wheel, windscreen, rear window and door mirrors. Heated seats are most important when cabin temperature is still low, your body being warmed up by the seat. But even without the optional ā€œheatedā€ equipment, remote start has the advantage to warm up the cabin immediately after you start driving (1500 - 2000 rpm), since the engine is already warmed up.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Very interesting to see. Thank you for posting @deleteduser3277.
Iā€™ve had my XC40 in November and have been using remote start quite a lot. Iā€™m finding it invaluable with the weather weā€™re having right now. I donā€™t have the heated steering wheel but do have the heated screen and seats and have both set to come on automatically.
It all seems a million miles away from breaking ice off the inside of my first carā€™s windscreen. šŸ˜„šŸ˜‚
And Iā€™m loving it. šŸ˜‚
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Why has the OP, who I think this was their first post on the forum, now deleted their account? Makes me suspicious and certainly question the accuracy of the data in the post.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 3279

Post by Deleted User 3279 »

blastpipe wrote: ā†‘Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am Why has the OP, who I think this was their first post on the forum, now deleted their account? Makes me suspicious and certainly question the accuracy of the data in the post.
Dear Mr Blastpipe, There's no need to start a conspiracy theory of my ulterior motives. I joined the forum posted a couple and decided to leave. Simple as that.

I hadn't realised that deleting my account would suggest that my information is in any way false.

I've looked again at the site this morning and rejoined simply to post this once to correct your assumtion.

While I'm here I've updated the chart, for those that are interested, in the screenshot below. You'll see the initial 3 degree rise, followed by a much larger rise which was a journey of about an hour or so afterwards. You'll see the temp in the car rose to about 16.64 degrees C. The sensor was located lying loose on the back seat, and the car's temp output was set to 23 C over this time.

For anyone interested the sensor is available from Amazon for about Ā£10. I've found it quite accurate, when compared to other devices I have. For some reason the forum won't let me post an Amazon link, so for those that are interested it's a Brifit Wireless Thermometer.

As to my intentions now, I may keep this particular login, or I may delete it, as is my choice.

Screenshot_20210122-130029.png

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Just to throw something else into the mix, petrol engines generally warm up more quickly than diesel. There may also be a difference between the 3 and 4 cylinder engines. I'm a bit of a nerd myself, but don't have all the variants at my disposal to do the comparative testing.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Surely the initial rise just represents the introduction of outside air, it typically being warmer in the early morning than the still air inside the vehicle which isn't subject to the same mixing.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
RJC

Post by RJC »

I have a Recharge and leave it plugged in overnight. On remote start the engine doesnā€™t start. But it seams nice and warm inside, electric seats and steering wheel are on but the big plus is the heated windscreen. No covering it up at night or de-icer. I wonder how the front screen works, I canā€™t see any heating elements. There must be some resistance in the glass itself.