Remote Start

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Delicious User 3280

Post by Delicious User 3280 »

RJC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:16 pm I have a Recharge and leave it plugged in overnight. On remote start the engine doesn’t start. But it seams nice and warm inside, electric seats and steering wheel are on but the big plus is the heated windscreen. No covering it up at night or de-icer. I wonder how the front screen works, I can’t see any heating elements. There must be some resistance in the glass itself.
The heated screen works by fine wires in the glass. Same method as the rear screen but the wires are far finer. In certain lights the wires can be seen.

Ford have had the technology patented for years but the legal patent has run out now and other manufacturers, notably VW, now have them right to use.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

My previous car (Skoda Superb) had a heated screen but that used a metallic film as one of the layers in the laminated screen. Totally invisible from inside the cabin but in certain lighting conditions it was visible from outside as a slight greenish tint. It worked far better than the wire element version used in the XC40.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.