Heated Windscreen Unavailable

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi All

Now the icy weather is here I've been loving the heated steering wheel and front windscreen. However twice this week I've started the car and pressed the heated windscreen button once to turn on just the electric heated elements and had the message "Front Electric Defroster is Temporarily Unavailable". I've left it around a minute, pressed it again and all OK. No information in the manual on this. Anyone else had it? I'm awaiting a dealer reply. All I can think is that when it comes on with heated everything pre-selected it can't provide enough power until it's been running a few moments?

Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I had the same message several times this winter if I press the button immediately after starting the engine.
I think it still came on though without having to press the button again but I'm not sure.
If I leave it a few seconds after starting before pressing it has been fine with no error message.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I've not had this myself but have read of some posters stating that their main display takes some time to load up. It may be the case that, as the systems are linked, you may need to allow the main screen to fully load before attempting press the button.

Alternatively, you can set the heated screen to come on automatically. I have got it set this way and it comes on if the temperature is cold enough.

1. Press Settings in the top view in the centre display.
2. Press Climate.
3. Select Auto Front Defroster to activate/deactivate automatic start of heated windscreen.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... windscreen
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Thanks both for the replies. Agreed, if I wait until the hamster powered infotainment eventually boots up then it seems to work every time. However what that means is sometimes it doesn't start remotely when you use the phone to start the engine and one of the key reasons I got the XC40 and winter pack was exactly that so I could de-ice the car from indoors on a cold Yorkshire morning. It is annoying, I like the comfort and features on the XC40 but the software and control systems seem like they were done by some Year 8 kids on work experience!
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

@Deputy, does yours not start on occasion if using the app?
The only reason I can think for that being an issue is connection. I have had this but I’m in North Wales and we don’t even have reliable 3G here, let alone 4G.

The manual states that it’s there to warm/cool the cabin so it should start to warm it up.
This is from the manual ⬇️

“Remote start of car allows you to start your car remotely via the Volvo On Call app in order to acclimatise it (cool down or warm up) before use.”

I didn’t find anything to say whether or not the heated windows also activated but it would seem common sense that they would or should.

For the heated windows though, if not already done, I definitely suggest setting them to activate automatically, it’s done in the main screen, as this means they will activate as soon as the system allows and only activate if the temperature calls for it. I have the heated seats set like this as well and find it works really well.

Also, have you tried switching the ignition on as you’re getting in? This might give the system the extra seconds needed to boot up before you start the engine.

If all else fails though, and it’s really not right, then take it back. It may have a glitch and/or may need a software update. I do remember reading that there was an update released late October’ish.
Good luck.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Thanks - useful info. I've got the car set to turn on front and rear window heaters when remote starting. This normally does work but I estimate about 1 in 4 times the car starts (so the connection is all working) and the rear window heater comes on but not the front and when I get in the message is stored about Front Defroster Unavailable. I've contacted Volvo, however I'm expecting the usual "can't find the issue sir" response!
People may say #firstworldproblems but I also paid first world prices for the options to do this remotely!!
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi Deputy, Something isn't right with the way this is operating for you. I've a 2020 T4 inscription pro. I thought my electric windscreen didn't work as the light doesn't come on automatically when I start the car below 10 oC. Obviously the seats/steering wheel and rear window heating all come on and illuminate their functions. I should point out the front screen isn't frozen in this scenario. Why would the rear screen come on but not the front? Odd to me. It did in my previous XC60
However, over Christmas when the cars has been truly frozen up. I've used the auto start app and the windscreen does clear electrically each time. All very odd and unclear.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

All very odd and unclear.
Or sometines clear
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Hugh C

Post by Hugh C »

Thank you for the information, I had the same message on the screen, I did as you suggested and waited for it to load fully before trying to defrost the front screen and it worked perfectly.