XC40 Driver's display fails

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jd40

Post by jd40 »

Sorry to hear about the problems with the drivers display. I’m sure Volvo will do their utmost to solve it. Meantime make sure you keep a record of what is done and when. In the unlikely event that the problem is not fixed in a reasonable time you might have to consider rejecting the car with all the hassle that brings.
XC40 T5 First Edition, 20inch wheels, fusion red, charcoal

Safc

Post by Safc »

Mine failed four days after delivery, gutted as it's a great car. Been a week so far and been told 2-3 weeks for new interface. Courtesy car in the meantime.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

I guess it keeps your mileage down. Small consolation though.
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May
jd40

Post by jd40 »

XC40FirstEd wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am Here some updates on the display fault.

Tech team at the dealer's has contacted Volvo Tech expert local to UK and in Sweden. They have asked to run some diagnostics and report back to Sweden.

Meanwhile local expert will be inspecting the car. A new display module has been ordered from Ghent but is in high demand / out of stock and will take its own time to arrive.

I will be loaned a demo XC40 until my car is fixed.

Mandar
What's the latest news on a repair?
XC40 T5 First Edition, 20inch wheels, fusion red, charcoal
Countrymusicman

Post by Countrymusicman »

I'm reading this with great interest. I'm considering buying an XC40 and I've already had a test drive which impressed me greatly. Today I revisited the dealer with my wife to discuss colours etc. While I was in the demo vehicle the display disappeared while the engine was on. I pressed the brake, stopped the engine, exited the car and re-entered. These things are all supposed to reactivate the display but to no avail. I asked the sales rep and she couldn't understand it either. I had to leave at that stage so I'm not sure if it was resolved. But this got me thinking. Is this a potential major problem! In my current Mercedes-Benz B Class I have proper physical dials so this can never happen. If the display in the XC40 disappears the car is virtually unusable. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem?
R Design Pro Fusion Red D3 Automatic
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Did you short press the Start button again on re-entering the car? Personally had no issues at all so far with the display, but a negative proves nothing!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hasn't the same display been used across the XC range, particularly in the XC60?
If so, if there were any problems with it, I think it would have been widely reported by now.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Countrymusicman

Post by Countrymusicman »

Was considering calling back the next day to find out if they fixed it but afraid they might charge me for breaking it. Lol. Yes pjm I tried pressing Start button, holding it in, stopping and starting engine, standing on one leg whilst whistling the MOD introduction but all to no avail. Might sneak back next week for another test drive. Yes Bob, as far as I understand the display is common in XC60s etc. so should not really be a problem. Interesting that the new Mercedes A Class aso has a totally "electronic display".
R Design Pro Fusion Red D3 Automatic
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

Well, My car is now fixed, they replaced DIM display (Driver's Information Module) my car was the first one in UK to get such a problem , I also had the same argument that XC40 is a spin off of XC60 so they DIMs had to be tested but they said no, XC40 was designed all from scratch and hence XC60 and XC40 DIMs are not the same. My dealer told me that Volvo found 3 more cars with same problems.

And Display goes off if you simply open the door and sit in the car and do nothing, but it should re-activate once you click start button.

After DIM replacement, I haven't had any problem with it so far.
XC40 First Edition Fusion Red
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Good news that all fixed and you can get back to driving it.

3 across the whole production to date probably isn't unreasonable - that's tech for you - frustrating no doubt as it was for you.
Last edited by Boomer on Wed May 02, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18