XC40 Driver's display fails

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

Bought Xc40 first edition yesterday. 9n my second drive. I saw that driver's display is off. This display swtiches on as soon as you unlock the car and open the door.

In this case even engine was on and there was no display. I had to drive without knowing what speed I am going with.

I did factory reset of software settings no luck.
When I connected my android phone using Volvo on call. Display came back again.

On next drive display was off again. On the way to my dealership it came back again flickering. But now check engine light is on.

Car is with dealer now . Technicians are looking in to it. Disappointed with Volvo on this.
XC40 First Edition Fusion Red

early adopter

Post by early adopter »

That’s disappointing.

What has the dealer said? Have they given you a curtesy car? Which country are you in?
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

I am in UK. Dealer apologies and offers courtesy car. They are going to do a software update and going to check everything. Well I got a very standard stereotype response. Let's see what they find out.
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Sorry to hear this, never good on a brand new car, let's hope it's a simple fix for you!
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
robbo

Post by robbo »

You must be really pissed of on a brand new car.

It might be a loose plug in to the display or maybe faulty mother board soldered on components
this would cause the flickering.

They always say software as a get out now a days that guff covers everything. Retired (electronics Engineer)

I guess they will be winging a new display from Ghent as I write if they don't find a loose connection on plug or mother board.

I hope its not a sign of things to come if it is like (Land Rover) it will be a disaster, remember these three company's were linked
not so long ago Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo under the Ford banner.

Robbo
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

Yeah, I hope that they fix it permanently, Initially they said, a software update will fix it and will take and hour, they said they would do the update while I wait , but then they came back and offered me a courtesy car. That indicates they found something or they want o perform a thorough test.

I too didn't insist on getting the car back ASAP , as last thing I want it to fail again.. so fingers crossed they find and fix it for good.

But I suspect this is a faulty hardware issue as Robbo points out, because, driver display failure is a serious issue and should have caught Vovo's attention during the test phase.

I waited patiently for the XC40 to be available, another couple of days more... But seriously Volvo , this is a bad bad customer experience...
Bob

Post by Bob »

It is very unfortunate, but I'm afraid there is more likelihood of a component failing during the first few months of it's life than the following few years. Then after several years of reliable operation, the likelihood of components failing again starts to increase.

I don't understand why this is a bad customer experience? Volvo have taken your car in for investigation, and given you a courtesy car, based on the limited information you have given I would say they are doing their best to resolve this for you. If they return your car and the same fault keeps reoccurring, and they try to fob you off, then that would be a bad customer experience.

Good luck with the repair/rectification, I hope they get it sorted for you.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

Yeah, you are correct Bob, it's me who was disappointed by the experience, So far Volvo dealer has done a good job of acknowledging
that there is a problem, and got me back on road with courtesy car. I am sure they will look in to this, Volvo is a very old and reputed car company. It was me who was not thinking straight due to disappointment.

Let's see how it goes, Will get more updates from the dealer in next couple of days and will post here, what they have to say.

Thanks
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can understand your disappointment, I know I would be disappointed too.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
XC40FirstEd

Post by XC40FirstEd »

Here some updates on the display fault.

Tech team at the dealer's has contacted Volvo Tech expert local to UK and in Sweden. They have asked to run some diagnostics and report back to Sweden.

Meanwhile local expert will be inspecting the car. A new display module has been ordered from Ghent but is in high demand / out of stock and will take its own time to arrive.

I will be loaned a demo XC40 until my car is fixed.

Mandar