Is a customised regional map package possible?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

My car is telling me there is a software update. Every time I drive it.
That software update turns out to be map updates for the 20-or-so sub-regions of Europe that I will never, ever, drive in.
All of which are filling up space and slowing/confusing searches for addresses that I want to find when I do a search for destination.

But untill I update my maps for Ruritania/Transylvania and the rest, it will continue to nag me to update my software... :-(

I would like to flush the unwanted maps and create a hacked Europe package that just includes some countries/map-packages. Anyone done that?

I'm hoping to download the full Europe package and then hack the DBINFO.ME file so that it only installs, and subsequently auto-updates, what I want it to.

Am I mad? Is this possible?

Mark
MY2020 R-Design

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

If you set north-western Europe as your home region then you will only get informed of updates to that region.
You can then individually update other areas of Europe manually should you ever need to.
Have a play around with the download screen and you will see what I mean.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Hi Skyrimmer,
Thanks; I do get that. I had updated to 1323 but now we have 1326. So I can do what you suggest and most likely the update nag will go away.

BUT... my goal is still to hack a custom Eupope package to just include the countries I need.

The manual says that sometimes the structure of a region may change, resulting in a full update being necessary.
So I could pretend there was a structural update such that the EU package included only Country A and Country B. But I need to work out how to modify the files to achieve that.

I realise this is waaay off the mainstream and I'm unlikely to find anyone else trying to do this.
I am looking at the HERE Maps Developers channel on GitHub (no luck so far).
MY2020 R-Design