Inscription Pro seats MY21

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Hi All,
I picked up an Inscription Pro (a B4) beginning of November. The car is fantastic but the drivers seat pad, more specifically the middle pad, is so thin that I’m sitting on a solid plate underneath the padding. It feels like I’m sitting on a wooden stool on a folded up towel. And I’m a pretty light chap at under 10 stone.

Does anyone else have the same car from the same period, August to December’ish? And if so, what’s your view of this?

I’m taking mine back in as there’s no way I can put up with it.
I know what the first response will be but we’ll see.

Cheers.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020

RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

No complaints about the seats in MY21 (September 2021) Inscription Pro. As expected, the seats are excellent - although I'm yet to go on any very long journeys due to the current situation. I am considerably heavier than you.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

If your seat is is full horizontal position, than you might feel the middle pad as being thin. Try tilting a bit the seat raising the lip (not the backrest) with the lever located below, it will change the weight distribution of your body and your seating position could become much more comfortable.
Last edited by eugen61 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

BionicRusty wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 pm Hi All,
I picked up an Inscription Pro (a B4) beginning of November. The car is fantastic but the drivers seat pad, more specifically the middle pad, is so thin that I’m sitting on a solid plate underneath the padding. It feels like I’m sitting on a wooden stool on a folded up towel. And I’m a pretty light chap at under 10 stone.

Does anyone else have the same car from the same period, August to December’ish? And if so, what’s your view of this?

I’m taking mine back in as there’s no way I can put up with it.
I know what the first response will be but we’ll see.

Cheers.
Hey

My seats are extremely comfortable when my bum and body are sitting back and in the natural position (if you get my drift). Recently I’ve been waiting in the car for an hour or more while waiting for my wife visiting her Mother. Whilst waiting, I tend to try to relax and push my bum further forward. At this point, I do indeed lose the comfort of the seat padding and find that, just like you, I feel I’m sitting on a scaffold plank. I wouldn’t dare to tell you how to seat in a car seat, but it would seem that Volvo have a small target area of padding to sit on.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Thanks all.
@eugen61, That’s a good point. I’ll certainly try your suggestion. I have tried playing with it quite a bit but will try again.
To be honest, I’d rather get this sorted myself, rather than take it in so fingers crossed.

@Dermottdog, that’s exactly it. That’s how I’m most comfortable for longer drives.
I’m going to keep playing with it. If I lower the seat right down I can get in to a position on the rear pad that’s good but then I feel a little too low. 😂

I’ll keep playing. 👍
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
hamishxc40

Post by hamishxc40 »

Have just posted this issue before being shown your post.

"Since I picked the car up I've only done a few hundred miles but don't find the seats comfy at all. The foam seems thin and not overly supportive to the point I can feel the metal frame at the back of my thighs. The leather on the bolsters are also incredibly soft and "delicate" to the point they look like they are creasing already. Am I the only one who is having this issue?"

Placing the seat at an angle helps but it's still noticeable.. thought it was me as I'm 6ft and let's just say heavier than the OPs 10 stone but it seems weight isn't the issue.

I should add I collected mine just before Xmas. T3 R Design in glacier silver
Norton

Post by Norton »

hamishxc40: I have a similar problem with my MY21 Inscription Pro B4. The cushion in the seat slowly collapses during the first 10/15 minutes of sitting in it until I feel that I am sitting on the frame - and it is very uncomfortable. I have seen posts in the Volvo XC40 UK Facebook group from a few people with the same problem. The dealer has agreed to book me in for a through check of the seat but I am waiting for a date. It is probably not urgent or essential in the current circumstances but I regard this as a fault and expect it to be fixed. (My temporary fix is to have purchased a memory foam cushion to sit on and this is reasonably comfortable.) If you do get the dealer to examine your vehicle, and I think you should, find out first how long you have to sit in the seat before the problem starts to become apparent. My problem takes 10 to 15 minutes before I sink to the bottom of the seat and contact the metal base. I did get the dealer to check the seat back it November but the technician sat in it for only a few minutes and reported that nothing was wrong. I can understand how he came to this conclusion. Next time he will need to sit there for at least 15 minutes.
hamishxc40

Post by hamishxc40 »

Norton wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm hamishxc40: I have a similar problem with my MY21 Inscription Pro B4. The cushion in the seat slowly collapses during the first 10/15 minutes of sitting in it until I feel that I am sitting on the frame - and it is very uncomfortable. I have seen posts in the Volvo XC40 UK Facebook group from a few people with the same problem. The dealer has agreed to book me in for a through check of the seat but I am waiting for a date. It is probably not urgent or essential in the current circumstances but I regard this as a fault and expect it to be fixed. (My temporary fix is to have purchased a memory foam cushion to sit on and this is reasonably comfortable.) If you do get the dealer to examine your vehicle, and I think you should, find out first how long you have to sit in the seat before the problem starts to become apparent. My problem takes 10 to 15 minutes before I sink to the bottom of the seat and contact the metal base. I did get the dealer to check the seat back it November but the technician sat in it for only a few minutes and reported that nothing was wrong. I can understand how he came to this conclusion. Next time he will need to sit there for at least 15 minutes.

I will get onto my dealer. Please report back when yours has been looked at
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Hi both.
I’d definitely advise getting them back into the dealership.
When mine goes in, if restrictions allow, I want a technician at the car so I can show him/her the issue and see if they agree. They must do as it’s as plain as the nose on my face.
Also I did read, maybe here but definitely on other forums, that there was a delay on the Inscription Pro around the time mine was built (mine took 5 almost months) due to the seats. This being July to November.
I’m putting 2 & 2 together there but that’s one hell of a coincidence.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

No complaints here. My Inscription Pro has the extendable thigh supports. I drove the car from Cambridge to the south of France a few days after getting it. The journey was very comfortable.
XC40 B4 Inscription Pro
Onyx Black
Oxide Red Leather
Driver Assist Package
Versatility Pack
Power Boot
Tempa Spare Wheel
Smart Phone Intergration
Harman Kardon