Ice and door mirrors

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Father Xc40

Post by Father Xc40 »

Yesterday, here in the UK, we had a frosty morning (-3 Deg C). Both door mirrors were well and truly stuck in the retracted position, for quite some time.

Not something I was expecting from a Volvo, hardly a harsh winter.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Well unfortunately even Volvo can't stop water freezing. Always happened to me unless car is kept in garage...whatever the make of car. It is best to turn off the auto folding on locking in winter if you're worried.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Father Xc40

Post by Father Xc40 »

blastpipe wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:01 pm Well unfortunately even Volvo can't stop water freezing. Always happened to me unless car is kept in garage...whatever the make of car. It is best to turn off the auto folding on locking in winter if you're worried.
And yet with cars of other makes over the last 15 or so years, all with auto folding mirrors, it's never happened to me before.

Certainly not worried but I'll switch it off until the weather warms up.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I've had it as well.
helsinkipolarbear

Post by helsinkipolarbear »

We've had 4" of snow for the last few days and the mirrors and retracted and detracted. Some of the doors had frozen and the windows had frozen shut - but with a gentle pull they were fine. I think as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much above and below 0C, it's fine.