Brake pads

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Morse

Post by Morse »

Car was collected this morning for its 2nd year service. Just received a call telling me the rear brake pads are 90% worn and asking if I want them to replace them. This will cost over £200 I can’t recall the exact amount quoted, suspect I was in shock😱 the car has done under 13,000 miles. I’ve never had wear on previous cars this quickly, and yes most of my previous vehicles have also been automatics. Am I right to be shocked or does this seem about right?
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Ever wonder why the car in front is constantly braking when driving along for no apparent reason? It's because it's a Volvo using cruise control!

Do you use cruise control?

Did you know that to stay at a set speed the car not only controls the throttle but also brakes the car - complete with brake lights.

My previous car, not a Volvo just maintained the speed using the throttle.

I don't use cruise control with my XC40 now I've found that fact.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Pinky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm Ever wonder why the car in front is constantly braking when driving along for no apparent reason? It's because it's a Volvo using cruise control!

Did you know that to stay at a set speed the car not only controls the throttle but also brakes the car - complete with brake lights.

Why would it have to brake to maintain the set speed? I would have thought sheer wind resistance and drag would have the effect of slowing it down.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:54 pm
Pinky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm Ever wonder why the car in front is constantly braking when driving along for no apparent reason? It's because it's a Volvo using cruise control!

Why would it have to brake to maintain the set speed? I would have thought sheer wind resistance and drag would have the effect of slowing it down.
How about on a downhill stretch.

Try it, it does use the brake.

It uses throttle, but on a downhill stretch the car will pick up speed, break the set limit, and the car will put on the brakes until set is achieved once more.

My previous VW had cruise control but it only used throttle, on the downhill it picked up speed and it was then up to the driver to apply the brakes or lower the gear.

The Volvo puts the brakes on.

As an extreme test drive at 70 on the motorway and apply a previously saved set speed of 60, or lower, and the car will slam on the brakes to get down there.

On a nice undulating 40mph A road with average speed cameras if you set the cruise control at say 42mph the car will be constantly braking in the downhill sections.

For the sake of my pads, and fellow drivers behind, I use the cruise control sparingly.

See page 273/274 of the manual. It also says that you can override the auto brake by cruise control and use engine braking instead as a one off temporary situation. But for the life of me I haven't been able to get this to work.
Morse

Post by Morse »

Yes I do use the pilot assist/adaptive cruise control but only on motorways and I don’t really do that much motorway driving. I’ve never given cruise control a thought as I’ve never really noticed cars cruising on motorways that appear to be braking more than necessary, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that. The one thought that has occur since though is the sheer amount of emergency braking the car does to avoid what it believes are likely collisions that need avoiding. Even after two years I’m still scared senseless when the brakes are applied for no easily discernible reason.
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I think the manual states (i've managed to try it once too) that when it descends it uses brakes. If you want it to use engine braking, you'll have to hit the throttle a bit, pinch it of sorts and it will disengage brakes :)
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Pinky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:54 pm

How about on a downhill stretch.

Try it, it does use the brake.

It uses throttle, but on a downhill stretch the car will pick up speed, break the set limit, and the car will put on the brakes until set is achieved once more.

My previous VW had cruise control but it only used throttle, on the downhill it picked up speed and it was then up to the driver to apply the brakes or lower the gear.

The Volvo puts the brakes on.

As an extreme test drive at 70 on the motorway and apply a previously saved set speed of 60, or lower, and the car will slam on the brakes to get down there.

On a nice undulating 40mph A road with average speed cameras if you set the cruise control at say 42mph the car will be constantly braking in the downhill sections.

For the sake of my pads, and fellow drivers behind, I use the cruise control sparingly.
I know what you’re saying but as you say, on a downward stretch of road you’d be using the brakes anyway. Brakes are so unpredictable. I’ve seen so many posts on here and other sites talking about brakes. Some drivers get 15,000 miles and some get 30,000 miles out of a set of pads. The type or driver you are plays such a significant part. I bought our car outright. It’s an investment for me (and yes, no car is an investment due to its depreciation) and we plan to keep it for a long time. I therefore drive like miss Daisy. Some drivers flip their cars after a couple of years. And some cars are company leased. The lease car, I would suggest, would be the least looked after car. The lease driver doesn’t have to pick up the maintenance tab and therefore can use the brakes aggressively wearing them down prematurely.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

I tend to keep cars a long time, relative I suppose, but 9 years or so. It also paid cash outright so the pads are mine😀.

I'd sooner put the brakes on myself. I was just putting forward a theory of premature brake wear for the first poster.

It could be, then again...
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Pinky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:17 pm I tend to keep cars a long time, relative I suppose, but 9 years or so. It also paid cash outright so the pads are mine😀.

I'd sooner put the brakes on myself. I was just putting forward a theory of premature brake wear for the first poster.

It could be, then again...
Well, as it’s Christmas, I accept your theory. Goodwill to all men and all that. 🙂
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Morse wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:23 pm Am I right to be shocked or does this seem about right?
Yes; you are right to be shocked. 30k is poor. 13k is indeed shocking.
In other circumstances I'd ask if you'd been driving with the handbrake on for the last two years!? :-)
Can't think of any other explanation (obviously not possible here).

I hear Pinky's dislike of Volvo CC/ACC but really can't see that as being the cause.

Out of interest, do you use the parking brake a lot?
Do you manually release, or let it auto-release as you set off?

When applied, it [completely subjectively and unscientifically] feels to me like it really locks on like a limpet. Unless I'm stopping on an incline, I just put the car into 'P' and don't apply the parking brake.
MY2020 R-Design