Brake pads

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:38 pm
Pinky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:17 pm I tend to keep cars a long time, relative I suppose, but 9 years or so. It also paid cash outright so the pads are mine😀.

I'd sooner put the brakes on myself. I was just putting forward a theory of premature brake wear for the first poster.

It could be, then again...
Well, as it’s Christmas, I accept your theory. Goodwill to all men and all that. 🙂
Ooo thanks.

But what about us women at Christmas? It's always the men that get the goodwill 😀

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Surprised it is the rear pads, as I thought the front brakes did the lions share of braking. Certainly seems very very early for replacement.
goi

Post by goi »

ACertainAge wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 pm Surprised it is the rear pads, as I thought the front brakes did the lions share of braking. Certainly seems very very early for replacement.
Indeed, the most energy needs to be transformed to heat by the front brakes. because the front brakes might block (partially with ABS) but the the rear brakes never (if they'd do, the car would turn).
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
Morse

Post by Morse »

I use the handbrake manually don’t engage the auto hold function. I really do think the pad performance is poor. I don’t consider myself to be an aggressive driver and of course given the car is automatic I fully accept higher brake use than were it a manual. I’d did cross my mind that perhaps the garage was over eager and looking to increase their income perhaps. The service charge I was given when they collected the car was £445, I was told I’d get a call from the garage to make a payment over the phone. I pointed out that the car was covered under the 5 year service plan. Made me wonder how much Volvo pay the dealerships under this arrangement given I paid about £150 more for 5 years servicing than they were charging just this 1 service.
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.